Is there a noticeable DIFFERENCE in QUALITY between IEM's?
Jan 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mustard Mayhem

New Head-Fier
Okay, i am a complete scrub when it comes to headphones, ive never owned any high-quality IEM's or headphones...ever, but i recently just ordered the Velodyne vPulse IEM's, and I'm just wondering if ill notice a big difference from the past IEM's i have used (phillips SHE35xx the 15 dollar one, and Beats by Dre. I didn't notice the difference between the 2, Beats just cost a hundred bucks more.) I will be recieving the vPulse tomorrow. I am just wondering what to expect :) thanks for the help guys! and yes i know beats suck ass as I have been reading hate post lols

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 10
no idea about the pulse,sorry.

but there can be significant difference between any kind of headphones. You just need to pick the right pair.
with time you'll be able to differentiate as you can listen to more details.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 10
Best is to buy one according to your sound signature preference. I got the Tpeos H-100 for about $150 only to find out I don't like a V-shaped sound signature. I then got the Vsonic GR07BE for about the same price and the difference is between night and day. For me, the H-100 is no match for the GR07s. However much an IEM costs, if the sound signature does not suit you, you are not going to be happy with your purchase.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 10
  Best is to buy one according to your sound signature preference. I got the Tpeos H-100 for about $150 only to find out I don't like a V-shaped sound signature. I then got the Vsonic GR07BE for about the same price and the difference is between night and day. For me, the H-100 is no match for the GR07s. However much an IEM costs, if the sound signature does not suit you, you are not going to be happy with your purchase.

Hmm well what i'm trying to ask is if there is a BIG difference between bad and good earbuds, or is it very minimal?

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 10
Both. It is all shades of gray and depends on zillions of factors. If you are feeding the 'phones a cr@ppy, noisy signal, then the best 'phones are going to sound noisy & cr@ppy. Headphones aren't going to turn a portable AM radio into an SACD player. If you have issues with your own hearing, the 'phones aren't going to fix that. If you don't like the way a particular 'phone sounds, then it doesn't matter whether it costs $10 or $10,000.

When you say "no difference" do you literally mean that they sounded exactly the same? Or do you mean that they sounded different, but you didn't like either of them?

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 10
Both. It is all shades of gray and depends on zillions of factors. If you are feeding the 'phones a cr@ppy, noisy signal, then the best 'phones are going to sound noisy & cr@ppy. Headphones aren't going to turn a portable AM radio into an SACD player. If you have issues with your own hearing, the 'phones aren't going to fix that. If you don't like the way a particular 'phone sounds, then it doesn't matter whether it costs $10 or $10,000.

When you say "no difference" do you literally mean that they sounded exactly the same? Or do you mean that they sounded different, but you didn't like either of them?

with that statement about feeding the 'phones, are you talking about the DAP? I will probably be using my ipod touch 4th gen and also my school's laptop and my desktop. And what i mean by no difference is that from what I remember, both of them sounded fairly the same, the beats are **** for ear buds anyways so it doesnt suprise me that they sound the same as a 15 dollar pair of very good value headphones (phillips 3580), but i listened to each pair during different class periods (im in hs) so there probably was a difference. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm talking about both the DAP and/or the music files you are using. If you are using bad rips to low resolution mp3 files, then you might have a bad sound. But as long as you are using something reasonable (like 128Kbps or higher) then it should be OK.

I don't know what to tell you - I have not heard any of the headphones you are talking about.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 10
  Okay, i am a complete scrub when it comes to headphones, ive never owned any high-quality IEM's or headphones...ever, but i recently just ordered the Velodyne vPulse IEM's, and I'm just wondering if ill notice a big difference from the past IEM's i have used (phillips SHE35xx the 15 dollar one, and Beats by Dre. I didn't notice the difference between the 2, Beats just cost a hundred bucks more.) I will be recieving the vPulse tomorrow. I am just wondering what to expect :) thanks for the help guys! and yes i know beats suck ass as I have been reading hate post lols

Yes, there is a big difference in the sound. And interestingly (maybe even thankfully), its not just price dependent, please check this link, its a gigantic review/comparison done by some very experienced headfiers
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list

You can sort it around - and after some time you will hit upon this little gem - Monoprice - Its just $8!!

And try the search button to get the chinese thread, very surprising information there.

I too am a total newbie and everything here is so surprising. :).....................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back