Is there a noticable difference in SQ btw Sony S and X?
Dec 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ok1907

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I was wondering if the new X series is a good improvement on the S-A series or is it just a player with more features rather than a better sounding player? Some say that X is one step up, some say that there is no noteworthy difference in sq and also a small number of people say that S6xx series sound better. By the way, I know that there are threads about this subject but they aren't that explanatory. Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the NWZ-S545 and NWZ-X1061 and after extensive listening they sound about the same. I use the ultimate ears triple fi 10vi with the songs encoded in .wav and Amazon.com variable bit rate MP3's. Both players sound fantastic and I can't really notice a dropoff from one to the other. At times I feel the X is a tiny bit more musical with a more refined sound but it really is hard to say.

My advise is if you just need a basic mp3 player get the S545 and don't look back. If you want to splurge on yourself get the X series, it feels really good in the hand with a nice, sturdy build quality and is fun to operate.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the NWZ-S545 and NWZ-X1061 and after extensive listening they sound about the same. I use the ultimate ears triple fi 10vi with the songs encoded in .wav and Amazon.com variable bit rate MP3's. Both players sound fantastic and I can't really notice a dropoff from one to the other. At times I feel the X is a tiny bit more musical with a more refined sound but it really is hard to say.

My advise is if you just need a basic mp3 player get the S545 and don't look back. If you want to splurge on yourself get the X series, it feels really good in the hand with a nice, sturdy build quality and is fun to operate.

i have the s639f and heard the x on demo... the x is MUCH more refined and the soundstage is much more open

i was hearing the S series for months before i tried the x... the difference was huge
if you get the s you will always be wondering about the x, so take the x if you have the money

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 10
I tend to agree more with wetworks than shootingstars. I owned both series. I think the X is a tiny bit clearer through the spectrum. But the overall sound was so close you really had focus hard to say what was "better" or "worse" on the X. The screen on the X is quite a marvel. In the end I sold my X and kept my S639. The sound was just too close. The lack of a dedicated Shuffle button and the lack of SensMe channels is what made me sell off my X.

By the way, if it means anything, when listening to the same song on both players with my S4's, I listen to volume at 10 on my S and 12 on my X.

If you don't mind the lack of SensMe and lack of Shuffle button, I think the X is a GREAT player. the screen and the youtube function are great. And the sound is in a league of it's own.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 10
i heard the X at the mall again today. the difference from that and the S is not as slim at all. I got to compare both of them with all settings off and EQ neutral... the S is not even close

wish the X had buttons, but the screen of the X is incredibly responsive so that is a bonus

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard the X at the mall again today. the difference from that and the S is not as slim at all. I got to compare both of them with all settings off and EQ neutral... the S is not even close

wish the X had buttons, but the screen of the X is incredibly responsive so that is a bonus

X2 I have both the S and X and after acclimatising to the sound signature of the X it beats the S handily.

Here's a link to a post where I made some comments about X1060 and S730

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6110448-post17.html

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 10
The difference is not worth paying a lot more money for.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 10
There's the analog amp versus digital amp thing... people who have owned an MD portable with digital amp will probably know what I mean. I enjoyed my digital amp MDs (both Sharp & Sony) immensely, no matter if they're actually good or not, they sound like they resolve well and have a different "temperament" to the sound.

To my ears the X is one step up, because it's not just digital amp, it's also meant to be one step up overall.

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 10
I find there is quite a noticeable difference between the A and X series.
I've listened to the A series everyday for about a year before I got the X, and the same songs on the X just sound more 'open' and natural. The X has a slightly larger soundstage, it is more neutral and less warm than the A series, which to my ears is less fatiguing for long listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back