Is there a master list anywhere of iPhone 5 compatible DACs?
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

imahawki

100+ Head-Fier
I really feel like Apple kind of screwed up by making extracting digital output from the lightening connector so expensive to license.  I really don't understand what they gain because the money they get from licensees cannot possibly make up for the negative end-consumer experience.

That said, and out of the way, what current DACs DO extract digital output from the iPhone 5 and other lightening equipped iOS devices?  Is there a list anywhere?  Are there any more (especially more affordable) on the horizon?

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Here is my list:

Sony: PHA-1 (MSRP $600, but mostly sells for $350)
Fostex: HP-P1 ($600)
VentureCraft: Go-DAP X (discontinued), Go-DAP TT ($823), SounDroid Typhoon ($523)
V-MODA: VERZA ($600, re-engineered version of the Go-DAP X)
Cypher Labs: AlgoRhythm Solo -R ($499) and -dB ($699, both DAC only)
Centrance: HiFi-M8 ($699)

Your best bet will be the Sony PHA-1 as it is decently priced with loads of key features.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Perhaps I shouldn't have even given an intro on my opinion on Apple's decision.  The reality, is, Apple could have went lightening and set the license fee to tap into it $0.  They could have had their bi-directional port, with sturdy connection, and custom pinout and still let 3rd parties use it for ways that benefit consumers, instead of charging such a high license fee that you end up with $500 iOS DACs.

Thank you for the list DrSheep.  If anyone else has any other responses, I'll compile them in my OP.  Until then, yours is the only list and its the second post, so, good enough.  Thanks again!

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Trust me, as a shareholder, I hear you.  But, I question what revenue would be forfeited if the license fee were dropped.  My guess is it would be minute because people either are moving to bluetooth or Airplay.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 10
I dumped my shares long ago, and may be Apple realized that portable DAC/AMP is a niche market?  Are you really interested in getting a list of iPhone 5 compatible DAC/AMP, or are you just here to argue?

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I really feel like Apple kind of screwed up by making extracting digital output from the lightening connector so expensive to license.  I really don't understand what they gain because the money they get from licensees cannot possibly make up for the negative end-consumer experience.

That said, and out of the way, what current DACs DO extract digital output from the iPhone 5 and other lightening equipped iOS devices?  Is there a list anywhere?  Are there any more (especially more affordable) on the horizon?

Just think of the millions of dollars in merchandise, that are sitting in the warehouses around the World, designed around Apple products and now they are useless. Car manufacturers included a 30 pins connectors in their Audio design so consumer would enjoy their iPods/iPhones in their vehicles which is useless now. Yes, Apple made the biggest mistake in going SOLO with a connector that is way different than all the other smart phones that use micro USB as digital output and works with all PCs & MACs on the market. Would you call the iPhone 5 a smart phone? I won't.     

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
The reality, is, Apple could have went lightening and set the license fee to tap into it $0.

That is thinking as a consumer. As a business Apple are considering they want to be firmly in control as to who gets MFI approval. For example Fiio were denied Lightning MFI. If we are going to talk about benefit to society there are tons more important things that should come first before discretionary consumer electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back