Is there a magic price point you break before you get addicted to hi-fi?
Apr 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 32
Though I still don't consider myself addicted, it started before head-fi with 580s, SR60, ER4P/S and a microamp, which I got at the same time (so whatever price that may be). I found head-fi when I was researching how to upgrade.

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it's a price point so much as getting a hit of that performance crack. Once you get a taste of high-end sound, you keep chasing the dragon, fall in love with gear, and so on. And once you're immersed in it, the prices begin to seem reasonable.

So True....Porta Pros and E2's got me into it and when I went off the deep end and spent $180 for E4's I knew I was an addict. I think of the crappy equipment I use to listen with and it seems like many years of wasted listening (equipment-wise that is
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 32
I think it was the crappy Sony EX-71 that made me think the money was right for the Super.fi 5 pro with their repaceable cord. Got an Echo indigo IO so that my laptop sounded clear at least. Did I ever ruin myself there...

Went to head-fi after getting foobar2000 setup on hydrogenaudio. It wasn't long that I got my first 4 digit dollar rig and then 4 digit dollar headphones were OK all of a sudden. I don't think I can afford the psychiatrist.
redface.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 32
The price of a ticket to a Hi-Fi show. They are lethal, go at your peril.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 32
What did it for me was when I was 19 and looking to upgrade the stereo in my car. MB Quarts were the popular thing back then so I found the local dealer and went in for a listen. The best MB Qs they had were maybe $300 which seemed like a lot. Also on the soundboard were some speakers that I had never heard of before. Dynaudio. And the price of $700 seemed ludicrous at the time. That was until I listen to them. After that there was no way I could purchase the MB Qs knowing the Dyns were out there. Needless to say I saved up and purchased the Dyns. It's been down hill ever since then.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 32
I don't think for me it was so much a price, as a realization that there is stuff out there that is unimaginably better then what I had.

For years I had used a pair of insanely crappy Logitech speakers (Little white ones that were so light they probably would have floated in water, and been none the worse for it).

Then I got a pair of headphones to play games, for better positional sound. They're the first ones on my signature list. Then I bought a second pair about half a year later, because the first ones were uncomfortable. The second pair were the Koss's, and when I got them I thought 'Wow! This must be what true hi-fi sounds like!' (Out of an onboard AC97).

Then this is where the actual spending comes in. I was in CompUSA and I saw a pair of Razer Barracudas, and being a complete n00b to the audiophile world, assumed that if they look cool and cost over a hundred dollars, they must be awesome. So I bought them.

Then I found out that they need a multi-channel sound card, so I bought a Creative Audigy for about 40 bucks. Shortly thereafter, my Razer headphones broke after three days of use. So I sent them back, but while they were in shipping, I needed a pair of gaming headphones. So I came here, and bought a BeyerDynamic DT770 pro. Knowing what I do now, I might have bought it in 80 ohms, but I got a 250. That was my first real headphone purchase.

After the DT770s, I became actually addicted, because I realized they were actually part of the high end (although after reading head-fi for a while I realized not the really high end). The only thing I had to power them was an old speaker amp, so I decided I needed an amp for them. I didn't know much about amps, so I bought a Total Airhead (It was an amp, so I assumed it could power a DT770 as far as it would go). Around this time I also started to experiment with higher quality sound files and bought an X-Fi.

Then I decided I wanted two pairs, for gaming and music. The second was a Denon AH-D5000, which I like. After that I decided to get a dedicated amp for it, which I recently ordered and isn't here yet.

As soon as I get more money, the story will be continued...

(After finishing that I realized it's quite long, but I'm really bored)

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #22 of 32
It all started with the forking Koss ESP950 electrostats about 1993, followed by the Senn HD580 and the Melos SHA-1 headphone amp.

The sad thing is, if I had stopped there, I'd be just as happy as I am today, and would have just as good sound!!
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #23 of 32
it started when i gave my $18 plantronics .90 headset to my brother... i went to tom's hardware forums for pc surround headsets... then was lulled to headfi...

i bought the hd555.... and already had a "decent" source with an audigy2zs...

*BOOM HEADSHOT*

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
last night when i was packing up the igrados a pair of phillips earbuds fell out from right next to the packing tape. i put them in and pulled them out instantaneously. it was just THAT bad...once you know theres "good" sound out there, regardless of the price (igrados are only 50 bucks, i got them for 35 and i purchased those phillips earbuds for 25...the difference is MASSIVE) you just cant go back.

same here. i found a pair of phillips earbuds that i used last year with my ipod. i couldn't believe those were my "best" at one point. i too started with the HD-555 about six months ago. i received the AKG 701 last week and have a LD MKIII on its way right now.
biggrin.gif
I'm at about ~120 hours on the K701s right now, and i can tell they're just now hinting at their potential. i still have a long way to go. i think the money will just be shifted towards amps and source gear now. i don't think it stops, and i'm wondering how i'm going to afford a lifetime of this??
eek.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 32
It started with SR-60s. Then Go-Vibe V6.

Now my main is Alien Dac > Go Vibe > 325is.

I also have Sextetts I need to fix up and amp properly

I guess thats about $500. Wow, I didn't realize it was that much. Now I'm thinking if I can get a XM4 for the Sextetts, then that will warrant a LOD for my iPod, then I will have to get some ES-7s as a proper portable phone.

Also looking at Beyers. Bah. I need a new hobby, or a job.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before November 2007:

HD201
A130
Go-Vibe 5

November 2007:

AD700 (Thanks to Asr)
Head-Six (Thanks to Asr)

Sold A130, gave away HD201 and GV5

Time between November and Now

Bought HD650, DT770, D2000, SR60, W1000, Little Dot II
Tried CKKIII (Thanks to Stephen from Rockhopper)
Sold AD700, HD650, DT770, SR60, Little Dot II, Head-six

Ha! This reminds me of my Head-Fi experience

Late Nov 2007
Sennheiser HD 202

a week later
Sennheiser HD 201

a week later
Cheapo Behringer HA 400 headphone amp

Late December
Sennheiser HD 555

Mid January
Headstage Lyrix Amplifier

Late February
Beyerdyamic DT 880

2 weeks later
DT880 sold (I just was not into them at all)
Purchased Goldring DR150 and Audio Technica ATH ad700

1 week later
Sold the HD555 and the Headstage Lyrix
Puchased Creek OBH 11 amp

2 weeks later
Sold the ad700
Sold the Creek
Purchased the Little Dot MK II
Purchased the akg k 501

1 week ago
purchased the HD 580s

I think I am done for a while....

No wait I just bought a pair of Grado sr80s off Ebay. Doh! They were only $67 shipped though. and I am just trying them out.

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #29 of 32
Well, I'm just a new addict. Perhaps I should try to wean the addiction right now, but I think it's already too late.

It started with the purchase of my mp3 player(Iriver IFP-895). Bought some el-chipo sony buds (still use them while painting, what a torture). Then bought the AKG K81 for close cans. Then bought some UE 3, followed by some SR-60 (and I was eying the SR-80 for 67$ but they sold out already). I've also commited myself to building a CMOY amp (parts sitting on my desk). And now I'm already eyeing my next upgrade...

Thanks Head-fi!

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #30 of 32
after spending $150 on a pair of DT770pros in november 07 i thought i would be satisfied for a couple of years, but after first setting my eyes on a pair of jecklin floats i knew i wouldnt be happy before i owned one.
although they were crazy expensive compared to the beyers, the looks, and the fact that they were electrostats threw all logics aside and i bought them.
thankfully, they were worth the price, and from now on i guess my wallet will forever stay empty
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back