Is there a headphone that sound like Merlin VSMM + Tube power amp?
Nov 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mowax

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking to upgrade my old beloved Sennheiser HD600. I'm looking for a headphone that sound similar character or close to Merlin VSMM+Tube power amp. My budget is 1k - 3k. I'd like to hear your opinion. Any recommends I'll appreciate it.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 4
Like I said in your previous thread: Electrostatic headphones are probably going to come closest to speakers.
You could get the AKG K1000 or the Sennheiser HE60/HE90, but they are both not manufactured anymore so it might take some time for you to find one.
Stax on the other hand still produces electrostatic headphones, and the best one still within your budget is the SR-007 Mk2. That is if you don't want to got the ebay route.

It also depends on whether you currently have an amp that can run electrostatic headphones. I think it's possible to run them out of speaker amps with the right adapters, but I'm not 100% sure. If not you might need to buy an electrostatic headphone amplifier, which will easily set you back another one or two grand.

Realize though that even electrostatic headphones are still headphones. Speakers will still sound different, no matter how good the headphones are. Electrostatic headphones will come the closest to the real deal, but still won't replace speakers.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I think it's possible to run them out of speaker amps with the right adapters, but I'm not 100% sure. If not you might need to buy an electrostatic headphone amplifier, which will easily set you back another one or two grand.

Energizers/transformer boxes are pretty common when it comes to vintage electrostatic systems. The main issue, though, is that most of those only have Normal bias outputs, not Stax's current Pro bias (unless you're willing to pay up for one of spritzer's Pro bias conversion boards). The SR-007 also apparently loves power, significantly more than the Lambda-series models, which means it probably won't sound at its best without the really expensive amps, either.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you Tilpo and NamelessPFG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back