Is there a headphone that sound like Merlin VSMM + Tube power amp?
Nov 20, 2011 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mowax

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking to upgrade my old beloved Sennheiser HD600. I'd like to hear your opinion. Any recommends I'll appreciate it.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't really know about any headphones that sound like a speaker. The closest you can get to a speaker with headphones are electrostats, but those can set you back multiple thousands of dollars.
It would help to have a budget.

Also: why did you post this in the headphone amp forum? Or did I misread your question, and what you are trying to ask is if you can upgrade the HD600's into sounding more like a speaker by changing the amp?
If this is the case then I'd have to answer: no. Amps will simply not change sound quality and signature by a lot, any amp that does bring a large change is one without a flat response. Might just as well use an equalizer, is what I'd say.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 7
Ops! I think I posted in a wrong forum. Yes, I'm looking to upgrade my headphone. I'm looking for a headphone that sound character similar or close to Merlin VSMM+Tube power amp. My budget 1k - 3k. Stax Omega2 Mk2?

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 7
Please ignore this thread. I posted in a headphone forum instead.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Here's a strange and non-audiophile idea:

1. get a measurement microphone, stick it in your listening position, in your room ( be sure to let the tube amplifier to warm up at least a week :) )
2. get a frequency response, then get some more throughout your listening area
3. print them all on the same graph
4. (GASP!) search for headphone graphs that matches that average response.

On a less technical note, get a Smyth SVS Realiser A8, make a preset right in your room with your ears, then you'll have a system that uses opamps and math to sound EXACTLY like the magic of tubed Merlins. :)
http://smyth-research.com/products.html

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Good idea. But I think I'll stay w/my HD600
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back