Is there a great IEM that DOESN'T have QC issues?
Apr 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
again.. I'm looking to buy used

Cables will wear out.

Quote:

if Shure is a great company and will replace it regardless of proof of purchase, then great.. if not, I have to look elsewhere

Nobody is *that* great.

OK the Henckel knives company, said to have lifetime warranty regardless who owns it.

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 32
I think the simple answer to the OP's question is "No".
Try finding a top of the line product in any segment that doesn't have QC issues..
There will always be some screw-ups that magically get trough QC, even with humans.

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the simple answer to the OP's question is "No".
Try finding a top of the line product in any segment that doesn't have QC issues..
There will always be some screw-ups that magically get trough QC, even with humans.

Yeah, no product is perfect; every IEM has some percentage of failures. And determining which one has the least number of QC issues is probably pretty difficult (or virtually impossible) based on anecdotal evidence or a sampling of Head-Fi member opinions. It seems to me that any of the well-known high end IEM's that are discussed on this forum (e.g., Westone, Ultimate Ears, Sennheiser, Shure, etc.) would be good choices -- in the absence of some reliable survey.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 32
@ PhilS
Indeed!
Here we get the idea that many of these high-end IEM's have a big failure rate, because we here are the people who talk about it, use it, listen to it and when it breaks, complain² about it. And no real view of what goes on outside of this community.
That creates a distorted view on QC, because there is simply no way of seeing the whole picture.

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #26 of 32
The IE7s being good for metal makes me even more excited to get them next.
I have atrios right now, and I must say, they have the best cable and best build quality of any IEM I have ever seen. Absolutely no issues even with having the cord yanked out of my ipod several times, the strain relief is excellent. All of my previous IEMs have failed at one of the strain relief points, these are holding up absolutely fine.
However, they are a bit dark and slow for metal which is my only genre, and that is why I am looking at the IE7. I tried the PFE but got the defects, and i found they lost control with some more complex stuff like fast metallica songs etc.

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you really don't know much do you?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...series-417821/

Not everyone follows full size cans or regularly checks the full-size forum. I admit to that myself, mainly because i don't have the money for cans at the moment, and looking at them is just going to make me want them more.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now.. if Shure is a great company and will replace it regardless of proof of purchase, then great.. if not, I have to look elsewhere

My e500's cable has been cracked for ~1.5 years, but I was too lazy/depressed about them breaking to see if they were still under warranty. Well, they were until ~6 months ago. Now that they are out of warranty, Shure's repair department refuses to repair the result of this manufacturing defect. This definitely runs in contrast to what Sugarfried said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have openly acknowledged a poor mixture in a limited amount of earphones that were shipped out of our factory, so if a customer calls with that failure mode their product will be replaced, period.

Their repair department won't even admit that it was a manufacturing defect. They told me that I was lying when I quoted Sugarfried's post for them. I'm not looking for a lifetime warranty, but a company that is reputed to have such amazing customer service should fix admitted manufacturing defects. It's cheaper for them than a complete recall, which is what should have been done.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #30 of 32
I've owned my UM1 for a couple of years. I had the cable sucked into the intake of a leaf vac. I tend to take them off by grabbing the strain relief at the ear piece. They're still going strong. They seem reasonably indestructible. I'm sure they would have been toast if the ear pieces were sucked into the leaf vac. They don't have the best SQ, but you're talking about using them at the gym. How much quality listening are you going to do there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back