Is there a doctor in the house? (MD or MD-in-training)
Mar 24, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the reason MD's don't spout forth? would it be a good idea to prevent clotting and hence promote healing , now ... how do fat emboli arise.......... rare for a toe but not impossible.

Brad - sorry man on both counts, actually make that all 3 - because if the Canadian system sucks as much as I have been told you will get to see the orhtopod in 3 months so that he can wire that potential crack in your toe.
evil_smiley.gif

Go and see your doctor, he may even have decent drugs to ease your pain..dB

Tylenol is not the miracle drug most layman believe it to be (use it sparingly) and correcting it with the appropriate reference to aspirin as the blood thinner. He stubbed his toe (No External Hemorrhage, internal) with edema.

Fat emboli on a toe fracture?
Fat emboli arises from big bone fractures such as the femur or humerus. Like Dr.T above mention, the marrow within the toe is not sufficient to cause pulmonary emboli. Although the toe fracture possibly can lead to a fat emboli, no doctor would be concern with this.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 41
funny how you get a mix of advice ranging from reasonable to negligent to outright irresponsible, some of it from people with medical background by the verbiage used, which is worrisome. Yes, doctors see people for a lot less, and if you have an accessible doc see them in the office, otherwise, if you can bear the interminable wait in the ER, go there.
I would qualify the internet medical advice topic: NEVER take internet advice on medical topics, unless it's from a reviewed site targeted as patient support or general info. It's scary what my patients tell me they found on the internet sometimes.
Let us know how it went. It sounds like you will be fine, but better safe than sorry.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW: no doctor is going to give you medical advice over the internet (liability), if you are lucky you may get a MD in training (myself) who's up late to help you.

Or an MD who stays "anonymous". (Just a theoretical possibility.)
You can tell by the answers who is in training and who is not. The ones focusing on molecular physiology vs. the ones dealing with the orthopedic treatment and prognosis.

Here is what Jennifer L Brown, MD, has to say about toe fractures:
eMedicine - Broken Toe : Article by Jennifer L Brown, MD

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tylenol is not the miracle drug most layman believe it to be (use it sparingly) and correcting it with the appropriate reference to aspirin as the blood thinner. He stubbed his toe (No External Hemorrhage, internal) with edema.

Fat emboli on a toe fracture?
Fat emboli arises from big bone fractures such as the femur or humerus. Like Dr.T above mention, the marrow within the toe is not sufficient to cause pulmonary emboli. Although the toe fracture possibly can lead to a fat emboli, no doctor would be concern with this.

He's getting his diagnoses from a recent House episode
tongue.gif

I broke my foot a year and a half ago and didn't go to the doctor for 4 days. Two of those days I spent in bed with a cold, but I'm sure the break was made worse by my trying to ignore it. The break ended up very bad. I was on crutches for 11 weeks and needed 4 months of physical therapy. I hope your toe isn't broken, but go to the doctor as soon as you can. Learn from my mistake
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a convertible. Leave the top down.
wink.gif

And I sure hope your toe isn't broken and you feel better soon.

I was in a bad part of town & this guy told me to keep my door unlocked so they won't break the windows..
smily_headphones1.gif

To OP:
RICE:
Rest.
Ice.
Compression.
elevation.

Keep your toe elevated slightly above your heart if possible.. Standing up is the worst.. Blood pulls down towards your feet.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #22 of 41
I just got back from a trip to the ER. They x-rayed my toe and I saw a doctor. It was a pretty obvious and clean break from the x-ray. They told me to keep off of it as much as I could for the next 10 days, and keep activity on it light for a month. That pretty much ends my plans of running a half marathon at the end of May. :\

Thanks for everyones concern, I really do appreciate it.

I did get some good news today- my order from CDBaby.com came in, so now I have osmething to do this afternoon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Brad

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quoted piece of advice is not very accurate and borders on negligent. I know you have the best of intentions, but please get your facts straight before giving advice on medical issues.

You might want to do the same. I dropped a 25# weight on my toe a few years back and that was the advice from the emergency room. Why would you cast your entire foot for one toe?

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #25 of 41
bhjazz: These are important and tricky issues. I'd rather come off as a little harsh on an internet thread, than live with the thought that the OP might develop a walking impediment because of some incomplete or inaccurate advice he got.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got back from a trip to the ER. They x-rayed my toe and I saw a doctor. It was a pretty obvious and clean break from the x-ray. They told me to keep off of it as much as I could for the next 10 days, and keep activity on it light for a month. That pretty much ends my plans of running a half marathon at the end of May. :\

Thanks for everyones concern, I really do appreciate it.

I did get some good news today- my order from CDBaby.com came in, so now I have osmething to do this afternoon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Brad

asc_kigacop03.jpg

At least its not a brain tumor!

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
asc_kigacop03.jpg

At least its not a brain tumor!

Speaking of brain tumors, I had to have a CT scan to check my brain for tumors. The results came out inconclusive, so now I have been scheduled for an MRI next week.

To be honest, I don't know why I am bothering having the MRI done. I absolutely refuse to have brain surgery even if I have a brain tumors. I guess I"m having it done because the government pays for it, and it would be nice to know that I don't have a brain tumor.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its probably lupus.

it's never lupus!!!!!!

but seriously, bummer about the break

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of brain tumors, I had to have a CT scan to check my brain for tumors. The results came out inconclusive, so now I have been scheduled for an MRI next week.

To be honest, I don't know why I am bothering having the MRI done. I absolutely refuse to have brain surgery even if I have a brain tumors. I guess I"m having it done because the government pays for it, and it would be nice to know that I don't have a brain tumor.

wow dude, what's this? get the MRI

did you read "when the air hits your brain" or something?

good luck

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #30 of 41
I have an appointment to get the MRI done next week, so I will get it done. I've never read "When the air hits your brain", but I am somewhat aware of the devastating impact that brain surgery can have on someone. I've known a few people to have brain surgery- two of them came out, basically the same they went in - and one of them was totally 100% different. He went in being a bit of a bully, and came out being so laid back and friendly.

I've given it a lot of thought, but the decision was surprisingly easy for me - I absolutely refuse to have brain surgery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back