Is there a difference in SQ of two lossless files?
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #31 of 57
Why are you interested in WMA lossless? Microsoft own system which means locked in. As for dbpoweramp I assume it has a software player? If so you probably need to use a asio or kernal streaming plugin.

I use winamp and asio4all on 1 PC, with asio plugin for another. I've setup foobar and mediamonkey to use asio4all/asio as well. WMP is not bit perfect, neither is itunes on PC.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #32 of 57
foobar2000 + WASAPI/ASIO/Kernel Streaming is bit perfect playback. For ripping to WMA lossless, i would personally rip to Wav with EAC and use a command line or gui tool to encode it.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you interested in WMA lossless? Microsoft own system which means locked in. As for dbpoweramp I assume it has a software player? If so you probably need to use a asio or kernal streaming plugin.

I use winamp and asio4all on 1 PC, with asio plugin for another. I've setup foobar and mediamonkey to use asio4all/asio as well. WMP is not bit perfect, neither is itunes on PC.

asio4all is bit-perfect? I usually use the native asio interface or WSAPI. Windows less than vista has horrible audio unless you use kernel streaming or asio

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Well, Zune only supports WMA lossless, I dunno if it supports WAV though. It should. So I'm looking for compatibility with the Zune.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #38 of 57
odd, is it one of those proprietary cards that uses a mechanical PCIe but reversed or something like that? I hate those!

As long as you own the CDs or a flac copy, WMA Lossless is fine. I just wouldn't keep my whole collection in that format exclusively like i used to :p

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #39 of 57
Well, if I ripped a CD into WMA lossless and put it on a Zune, would it sound just as good regardless of what bitrate it was in? (all of this is coming out of a Zune not a computer)

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

I couldn't get native asio to work with my soundcard (M-Audio Revolution 5.1) SPDIF out. Second PC has X-Fi, analogue 5.1 out. Windows XP on both.

For Revo5 ASIO on SPDIF you will need the new driver (ver 5.10....).

As for the rest of you, you keep asking the wrong question: "what will it sound like?" That depends on things UNRELATED to the storage format (WMA, FLAC, WAV, whatever).
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if I ripped a CD into WMA lossless and put it on a Zune, would it sound just as good regardless of what bitrate it was in? (all of this is coming out of a Zune not a computer)

assuming nothing is broken in software or hardware, yes. If you are using the same settings with the same encoder and end up with a significantly different bitrate, something major went wrong! If you are downloading two different copies of a song in WMA lossless, i can't help you with that.

If yuo did the rip, was it on a laptop? did you move the laptop while ripping?

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Revo5 ASIO on SPDIF you will need the new driver (ver 5.10....).

As for the rest of you, you keep asking the wrong question: "what will it sound like?" That depends on things UNRELATED to the storage format (WMA, FLAC, WAV, whatever).
frown.gif

Nope, with standard asio plugin for winamp, spdif enabled in revotask I got no audio.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by John64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
assuming nothing is broken in software or hardware, yes. If you are using the same settings with the same encoder and end up with a significantly different bitrate, something major went wrong! If you are downloading two different copies of a song in WMA lossless, i can't help you with that.

If yuo did the rip, was it on a laptop? did you move the laptop while ripping?

Well I think WMA lossless is capable of a bitrate of 1,000+, but the Zune supports up to like 700kbps (i think). But even if it only supported 320kbps, would there be an audible difference between the 1,000 kbps and the 320kbps?
If no, then I'll shut up and know the answer.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think WMA lossless is capable of a bitrate of 1,000+, but the Zune supports up to like 700kbps (i think). But even if it only supported 320kbps, would there be an audible difference between the 1,000 kbps and the 320kbps?
If no, then I'll shut up and know the answer.

yes, there would be an audible difference because they are encoding totally different things!

the real question would be, would there be a difference between wav and wmalossless and the answer is no. Lossless codecs don't remove or create data. Put crap into a lossless encoder, you will get the identical crap back. Put great audio in you will get the same audio back. If your lossless is only 320K then that means that it doesn't have much info. It will not sound any better or worse than the original CD.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by John64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, there would be an audible difference because they are encoding totally different things!

the real question would be, would there be a difference between wav and wmalossless and the answer is no. Lossless codecs don't remove or create data. Put crap into a lossless encoder, you will get the identical crap back. Put great audio in you will get the same audio back. If your lossless is only 320K then that means that it doesn't have much info. It will not sound any better or worse than the original CD.

Ok but what I'm saying is, if you had a CD and ripped in lossless at 320kbps and again at 1,000kbps the same song off the same CD. would there be a difference between the two? Sorry if I'm being difficult.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back