Is there a difference in digital out?
Dec 28, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

haloxt

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for the noob question, but I would like to know if there's a difference between the digital output on different portable players? I'm buying my first headphone amp/dac and am now considering the iRiver H120 mp3 player. The dac has USB, coaxial, optical and RCA input, would the H120 digital out be better than other portable options?

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Is there another digital player with a digital out? I'm not aware of any currently in production disincluding the Wadia dock option.

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there another digital player with a digital out? I'm not aware of any currently in production disincluding the Wadia dock option.

I would consider a PCDP with digital out if you think it is better than H120, sound quality and price are the most important to me. Also, are there any PCDP or mp3 player with rca output by chance lol.

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes there is. Being in the DAP amping scene for a while, the iMod + V-Caps rules.

BUT now that I have moved to iRiver H120/H140, I am blown away by the output. Using Wave file as my source and the H140 feeding it out through optical link as Ditigtal stream, the iMod is clearly outclassed in most aspects. It's definitely two or even three steps better than any modded iPod+Amp (depending on what type of external DAC/AMP you use)

The thing is, it all depends on what source you use. Of course if you are feeding out lossy format to a highly revealing and resolving DAC+Amp, you not gonna get that Hi-Fidelity you seek.

Another problem with this setup is, if you go for a portable setup you will find your choice very limited. Most Head-Fier uses Ibasso D1 DAC/AMP or HeadRoom 2006 MicroDAC (both no longer in production). You will need to find a DAC/AMP with battery power that offers optical link input. In my case I decided to use a DIY kit from HifiDIY.net and retrofit it into a Hammond case and a choice of 12-18V batteries. So for it has been working good for me bacause I get portability. But another problem is my setup became a FOUR bricks rig (H140+DAC+Battery Pack+Amp) and is barely transportable. But I can live with it because the quality of the SQ justify it.

And just like Duggeh mentioned, the iRiver H120/140 is the only DAP in circulation that offers Optical out. There are another two, the Archos Jukebox 20GB (Coaxial Out and VERY old) and Edirol R-09 (Optical - VERY Pricey and lack of space). So the H1XX still is the better choice and still obtainable through eBay - BUT expect to pay premium price for them as both of my H140s cost me no less than $200 each and my H120 almost as expensive.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 7
Which different portable players?
Cause afaik the iRiver H120 is the only one with digital output...

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes there is. Being in the DAP amping scene for a while, the iMod + V-Caps rules.

BUT now that I have moved to iRiver H120/H140, I am blown away by the output.....It's definitely two or even three steps better than any modded iPod+Amp (depending on what type of external DAC/AMP you use)

Interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another problem with this setup is, if you go for a portable setup you will find your choice very limited. Most Head-Fier uses Ibasso D1 DAC/AMP or HeadRoom 2006 MicroDAC (both no longer in production).

Supposedly iBasso has a "D10" DAC coming soon that will have optical capabilities. If this is true, then it will greatly help folks wanting to build this sort of rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back