Is there a difference if I use Analogue or Optical Digital on my Z5500? Please help me!!
Dec 23, 2008 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

effectic

Banned
I have a Z5500 here and I am seeing there is a port to use a optical cable.

I currently have it set up via analogue.

Is there any benefit in Using Digital?

My main uses are Music and Xvid movies.

Also can the Z5500 decode DTS so hence you do not need a DTS capable sound carD?

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 13
my guess is both are equally crappy but the logitech internals is probably better than the computer internals that you're using so give it a try and find out for yourself.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 13
Well, that was a "crappy" response. You actually didn't help out at all.

effectic, I also have the Z5500 and have tried all the inputs on it. RIght now I'm in the process of using it as a 2.1 system since I'm moving things around and I don't have the space per say. But for the time being I'm using the analog from the PC.

When I was using the Optical in the 5.1 mode, it sounded a bit louder but my thing against the Z5500 is that the center channel isn't as loud or efficient as the others. You would have to turn the center up a lot for the dialog. But I really didn't mess with the settings as much.

If you want to try Optical or the Digital, go to a cheap site like monoprice or something and spend a couple of bucks on the optical or digital cable. You won't spend much and the quality is not bad at all. PM me if you need me to try anything else for you.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that was a "crappy" response. You actually didn't help out at all.

effectic, I also have the Z5500 and have tried all the inputs on it. RIght now I'm in the process of using it as a 2.1 system since I'm moving things around and I don't have the space per say. But for the time being I'm using the analog from the PC.

When I was using the Optical in the 5.1 mode, it sounded a bit louder but my thing against the Z5500 is that the center channel isn't as loud or efficient as the others. You would have to turn the center up a lot for the dialog. But I really didn't mess with the settings as much.

If you want to try Optical or the Digital, go to a cheap site like monoprice or something and spend a couple of bucks on the optical or digital cable. You won't spend much and the quality is not bad at all. PM me if you need me to try anything else for you.

thanks PM sent
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Z5500 here and I am seeing there is a port to use a optical cable.

I currently have it set up via analogue.

Is there any benefit in Using Digital?

My main uses are Music and Xvid movies.

Also can the Z5500 decode DTS so hence you do not need a DTS capable sound carD?

It depends which device has the better dac and components. Your sound card or Logitech speakers? In the end, the signal will be converted to analog. DTS is usually decoded in software, most cards don't have a hardware DTS decoder.
Looking at this page; http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp...s/224&cl=us,en
It shows the Z-5500 can hardware decode DTS so you can plug a dvd player to it through SPDIF.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well its the creative X FI and the card does not support DTS.

Same way the Xonar DX does not support DTS and only the higher end D2X

The card doesn't have to support DTS, you can decode it via software (AC3Filter). With DTS being decoded in software ANY multichannel sound card will work.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 13
so if DTS can be decoded in software with an AC3 filter why does Asus want double the price for a Xonar D2X?

Why then would someone buy a D2X when they can decode DTS via software for free?

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 13
AC3 and DTS software decoding has been going on for years now. I don't know how the D2X works but it does have a SPDIF input. I guess this could be used to connect a dvd player or gaming system and the sound card would hardware decode AC3/DTS.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 13
If you have a high quality sound card, I would use the analog output instead of optical.
Monoprice.com has very cheap quality optical cables. If you can get it shipped to your area, try them out. One thing to note is optical is limited to 2ch PCM. If you want to listen to 5.1 audio in PC games it won't work UNLESS your sound card supports Dolby Digital Live or something similar.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 13
I use optical out b/c the analog sound from my Macbook Pro sucks.

If your movies have 5.1 sound, then using the optical gives you suround sound with just one $10 cable. The Logitech DAC is capable of accepting a 24/96 optical input, but I agree with MrKazador - if you have a good sound card with good analog outs, it's worth comparing DACs.

IIRC the Z5500 do DTS decoding - I'm not in the same city as mine ATM.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Well I sold my X FI and bought a Asus Xonar DX sound card today.

I hooked it up and surprise surprise no driver issues whatsoever I am glad to be done with creative now.

From what I understand this Xonar has excellent analogue out.

Now that I have a good card perhaps the optical cable may be a bit pointless?
Unless maby the stock analogue cable in the Z5500 is poor quality and perhaps the optical is free of interference?

What you guys think?

I have heard many times that it matters not when using these type of speakers cause in the end the sound quality that the Z5500 outputs from the speakers are not audiophile grade.

OW also my Z5500 volume dial gets stiff when turning in a 360 degree motion when it reaches a certain point it gets stiff anyone else having this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back