Is there a difference between smooth and wrinkled earpads?
Aug 25, 2017 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LightDarkSonic

100+ Head-Fier
Wanna buy new earpads for my trusty HD 449 but a seller sell both wrinkled and smooth earpads for it, do they change sound in a perceptible way? wanna get the smooth for durability concerns but the HPs did come with wrikled ones so i'm not sure what to do.

Aug 25, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 14
Wanna buy new earpads for my trusty HD 449 but a seller sell both wrinkled and smooth earpads for it, do they change sound in a perceptible way? wanna get the smooth for durability concerns but the HPs did come with wrikled ones so i'm not sure what to do.
It probably won't change the sound very much. Many times, earpads change the sound just because they either let the driver sit closer or farther away from your ear. The material rarely makes a difference by itself unless it's leather vs something else. Leather tends to form a tight seal around your ear and may sound different than velour or whatever stock material the headphone comes with. This is mostly noticed in planar magnetic headphones like the Audeze line. Good luck with your replacement pads!

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 14
I see. Thanks! Now I can order without worry!

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 14
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 14
It probably won't change the sound very much. Many times, earpads change the sound just because they either let the driver sit closer or farther away from your ear. The material rarely makes a difference by itself unless it's leather vs something else. Leather tends to form a tight seal around your ear and may sound different than velour or whatever stock material the headphone comes with. This is mostly noticed in planar magnetic headphones like the Audeze line. Good luck with your replacement pads!

+1 to this. Changing from "sealed" pads (e.g. vinyl, leather, pleather) to "fabric" pads (e.g. foam, velour, Escaine) can have significant impacts on frequency response/sound (and generally the advice is "match like to like" - don't swap a fabric pad for a leather one, or vice versa, because usually the results aren't great), but if the dimensions, density, and materials are similar the sound shouldn't be expected to change significantly. Alternatively, if the dimensions/density do change, the sound can shift some. An example of this in action is the Ultrasone PRO900 and PRO2900, which are very similar, but use different pads (the PRO2900's are thicker and stiffer), which contribute a good deal of their sonic differences (put the same pads on them and they sound surprisingly similar, despite being open vs closed). Why is this worth noting? Mostly if you have some seriously worn pads and replace them with new ones that are the right shape/condition/etc it may change the sound a bit vs what you're used to, and that's mostly unavoidable (since you're replacing something that's damaged).

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 14
Both HD 598 and 449 are seriously worn, guess the sound will change quite a bit, they are pretty stuffed right now and the first littler from both is opening up, guess it's past the time to change them. Does the imaging can suffer because of the worn pads?

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 14
Both HD 598 and 449 are seriously worn, guess the sound will change quite a bit, they are pretty stuffed right now and the first littler from both is opening up, guess it's past the time to change them. Does the imaging can suffer because of the worn pads?

Yes, generally as you move "in" with pads that can hurt imaging/staging/presentation (it can also increase bass response). If they're falling apart you don't have much choice but to replace, but you may notice the sound change a bit once you put the new, better condition pads on there, and that was mostly my point - just know that it's a possibility.

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 14
Ok then, just wish they were a little cheaper... The one from the 598 is 40$ on Amazon...

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 14
Ok then, just wish they were a little cheaper... The one from the 598 is 40$ on Amazon...

Does Sennheiser sell them direct (and/or are you under warranty?). Random but related experience: I've seen prices for replacement Audio-Technica pads range into the $100+ category on sites like eBay or Amazon, but upon actually calling AT and asking, the prices are significantly more modest for many models, but they aren't directly advertised on their website (we're talking like half or less). Not sure if a similar thing is true with Senn or not. If they're under warranty maybe the warranty will cover the pads, who knows...

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Find it hard to still be under warranty got mine more than 2 years ago that's for sure. Will try calling them and checking prices, just have to see how I will receive them as in my country, Brazil, importing is a hassle.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 14
Find it hard to still be under warranty got mine more than 2 years ago that's for sure. Will try calling them and checking prices, just have to see how I will receive them as in my country, Brazil, importing is a hassle.

Some headphones have warranties at that 2-3 year mark, some longer, some less; I don't know what it is specifically for the 598, but I wouldn't rule it out at 2 years without asking. The local distributor/importer may also have replacement parts that may not (hopefully) have to deal with importing too.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 14
That's good news, will check up on that then.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 14
That's good news, will check up on that then.

Was bored and Google is fast - found the product page: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-high-end-surround-sound-hd-598

Says it has a 2-year warranty, so you may still be inside it, depending on exact purchase date or whatever other obtuse rules they may have. Honestly I'd consider that at least a valid reason to talk to them if the pads are falling apart at 2 years - that seems really quick IMO.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Will send you some pics later but it's pretty bad, I used them pretty much everyday the entire day, so I guess it's no surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back