Is There a Company That Will Reshell Dynamic Drivers and Balanced Armatures in the Same Enclosure?
Feb 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheGame21x

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been wondering this for a while now but the idea popped back into my head once I got my hands on a pair of Atrio X IEMs a few days back. They quickly became my go-to IEMs because of their bass response and since I'm something of a basshead, it was amazing.

Soon after, I started thinking about the possibility of reshelling these into a custom enclosure alongside a TWFK from another pair of IEMs that I really like, despite the fact that they just don't (can't) deliver the kind of bass response I really enjoy. Now, the idea of having the Atrio's bass response with the TWFK's...well...everything else in the same IEM is driving me nuts. I keep dreaming about it, fantasizing about it and now I want something like that in my life.

Now before this veers into the creepy side of things (if it hasn't already
tongue.gif
), I really think something like that would be the perfect IEM for me and because reshelling tends to be a bit cheaper than full on buying a custom, that would be perfect for my meager University student budget as well. So, does any custom IEM company offer that kind of reshelling service?

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 2
There is an issue not only with crossover but with impedance when you mix the drivers.  Blindly mixing them is not going to magically give you a perfect balance between the two types of drivers.  If JH Audio, Westone, and others are not doing that it is for good reason.  I am not saying you cannot try because I have read somewhere here on head-fi that it can be done, but be aware there are some serious issues in doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back