Is there a cheapere alternative to B&W MM-1 Speakers?
Dec 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

goodsongs

Head-Fier
http://www.amazon.com/MM-1-Hi-Fi-Computer-Speakers-MM1/dp/B003R6U6HG/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386594776&sr=1-5&keywords=wilkins+speakers

I tested this speaker at Apple Store and I love them.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 17
There are speakers which cost less or as much and out perform these. But they won't be so tiny.

For starters, any of these will stomp on those speakers:
Adam Audio F5
Emotiva 4
Any Aktimate speaker
Ruark Audio desktop speakers

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 17
All the above speakers will sound better than b&w with or without a dac, irrespective. Audioengine won't sound as good as b&w though, nor will swan speakers either.

But if you want something that compact then you don't have any choice except b&w for the price and sound quality.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 17
Recommending things without all the information is not very helpful.  The ADAM speakers do not have any form of DAC they are simply Active Speakers, which may mean the buyer needs to consider connections and source.

The B&W are a lot of money for not a lot in my opinion, but that is personal, you can probably get more bag for your buck with more research.

A simple USB dac or audio interface and some active monitors will sound just as good IMO and probably be less expensive, what you are paying for is convenience, style and brand.  A basic focusrite audio interface and some KRK RP6's would probably be better quality for the same money.  Although its a pandora's box, once the research begins you will find dozens of options..

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 17
Heya, I would choose a pro-audio company, which is building active speakers with inbuilt dac for the professional market and not a company, which builds high priced nicely designed toys for a niche product. Like this one for 150 dollar. http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MS20-Digital-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B000QUT9RY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386608536&sr=1-1&keywords=behringer+ms20
If you go up on the price ladder you could be sure that you get better quality for the price. These companies, like Behringer, Art Audio, Adam etc working for pro-market, where quaility and price reflects real value better than design oriented consumer market, where consumers do not have a clue about sound, but have design preferences.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 17
You are under estimating the b&w speakers without listening to them. They are very good and should be better than most pro speakers in the sub 300-400 usd price range, just that the best sub 500 speakers are a bit better at the expense of their larger size.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 17
I do like BW products, the 801 is probably one of the best loudspeaker series. I just wanted to call the attention that there are more options around. Better? Worse? Price important? Design important? Audio is very subjective, and price sensitivness even more. But I am sure one could not make a very bad decision if choose a pro-audio product instead of one oriented towards solely the consumer market.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 17
You are under estimating the b&w speakers without listening to them. They are very good and should be better than most pro speakers in the sub 300-400 usd price range, just that the best sub 500 speakers are a bit better at the expense of their larger size.

no

i think your underestimating real speakers.  yes the little b&w's are wonderful given their size and how pretty they are but your paying a lot for the pretty and the tiny.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 17

What would be some examples of real speakers?

for a start see "yourboss"'s posts.  the easiest rule is to look at established brands.  either passives or actives dependant on use case, not that B&W isnt a real speaker maker, they most certainly are but i was speaking of speakers that have been designed with sound as the key priority rather than being small and pretty. the mm1 may strike a good balance between the two but you pay for it, pay rather alot for it.

other ones to look at off the top of my head, and ill try to keep it to active or powered.  focal do a couple, tannoy do a coulpe, Acoustic Energy Aego M, Rokit, Epoz, those little Monitor Audio ones, M-Audio, Kef, XTZ, tbh there are loads out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back