Is there a cheaper SACD player with XLR than the NAD M5?
Jan 15, 2007 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Robonaut

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the midst of upgrading my audio gear and, as part of that upgrade, I'd like to get a mid-fi CD player that also plays SACDs.

I'm trying to find a good compromise between sound quality and price. I'm thinking that I definitely want XLR outputs on the player in order to get the best sound quality, since the preamps that I'm looking at don't have HDMI or iLink inputs.

So far, the most affordable CD/SACD player I've found with XLR outputs is the NAD M5 at $1,800. This player also claims to keep the SACD signal in DSD form until it's converted to analog (no intermediary PCM stage) which seems important.

Are there any other CD/SACD players for less money with XLR outs on them that I should consider?

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 4
You could go the modded route:

I have the Denon 3910 player modded by SACDmods.com.

It sounds awesome, and plays CD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD and other formats, all equally well.

The mod including true balanced XLR outputs runs about $800, and the 3910
is on clearance now since the new 3930 is out, so you could pick one up new for about $800.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Just to add to this. I've heard systems where balanced can and does make a difference, and others where it really wasn't worth the effort.
I'd like to suggest that it's probably more important to get units with better quality power supplies and clocks than nice connection specifications.
Basically, buy with your ears, not just on specifications.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 4
I have heard that NAD unit, and it's pretty good. I heard it with the NAD M3 integrated. Make sure you look around, because I'm pretty sure the MSRP is $1899, so you should be able to get it for less than the $1800 you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back