Is there a CHEAP replacement UE cable source?
Dec 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I have a pair of Super.fi 3s which I use for the gym and am pretty happy with for this purpose. My problem is that the left channel is starting to flake... I guess its time to replace the cables.

I've found them for $20 + shipping, but it seems dumb to buy those when I could get the rebranded Altech Lansing UHP336s for $33 shipped from Amazon (which I understand to be the same damn headphone).

Am I missing something, or are these headphones not even worth re-cabling for an $8 difference?

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm not hear to rub salt in any wounds but $20 for a cable, directly from UE, is pretty cheap. For $40, you can get the best cable UE has to offer, the one they sell as an accessory to their customs. Is there really $20 worth of plastic and wire in a replacement cable? Probably not, but there's a downside to fishing for the cheapest wire you can find. I'm not a wire freak (no $300 wires for me) but the crappiest wire does yield some of the crappiest results. The problem you're going to find - in looking for a replacement cable for under $20 - is that replacement cables are marketed as a means of saving much more expensive earphones. Nobody simply buys replacement cable off-the-rack as if they were buying plastic flashlights and batteries. You could make your own wire (and better wire, too) but it would still cost you close to that once you bought the wire and connector.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 7
The UHP336 cable sucks. Unless you're really attached to the SF3's, I'd suggest getting some new IEMs. I thought the UHP336's sounded great when I got them, but after getting a pair of RE0's, they sound all muddy and nasty. Something with a lower profile might work better for the gym.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Bil,

Perhaps I was unclear. I'm not looking for a crappy aftermarket, but a source for the UE ones priced below retail... Very interesting re: $40 replacement cable. I wasn't aware of that--is it sonically superior or just a better build quality? With the TF10s for a hundred bucks I'm not sure I want to "upgrade" my SF3s necessarily, but it is food for thought.

bba1973,

I like the super.fi 3s a good bit for gym headphones. They do great for that purpose and I've got no complaints. I have a pair of Etymotics Er6is (don't really like 'em, but after finding out a Wabash Alumni [see my avatar] founded Etymotic, I feel guilty selling 'em) and also a pair of triple.fi 10s which should be delivered this week.

I'm a vet to the headphone game and have owned most of the big boys at one point or other (HP 1,2,3, SR-200s, K-1000s, CD3000s, HD580/600/650, ER4is, etc, etc.) but now my focus is speakers. I just want something to keep me hyped up through some brutal pre-competition workouts at the gym.

Is the UHP336s cable inferior to the SF3s? I kinda figured they were the same top to bottom. Does Altec Lansing sell the replacement cables as well or at least warranty them?

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the super.fi 3s a good bit for gym headphones. They do great for that purpose and I've got no complaints. I have a pair of Etymotics Er6is (don't really like 'em, but after finding out a Wabash Alumni [see my avatar] founded Etymotic, I feel guilty selling 'em) and also a pair of triple.fi 10s which should be delivered this week.

Is the UHP336s cable inferior to the SF3s? I kinda figured they were the same top to bottom. Does Altec Lansing sell the replacement cables as well or at least warranty them?

I see what you mean. If you really want to keep the SF3's, I'd say just get another cable. That is, if you're sure the problem is the cable and not the driver. You could switch the cables and drivers to see if it's one side of the cable or one of the drivers.

As for the UHP336 cable, it's really stiff and clunky. It probably wouldn't work very well for the gym.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Decision was made for me. I just phoned UE/Logitech and they honored a warranty claim for me. Free replacement cable coming my way.

I'm definitely pleased with their service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back