Is there a betterr alternative to Burrrn?
Jul 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I recently installed Windows 7 Pro on my machine and realized that Burrn in out of date and no long available for download through the official site or download.com. My question is, is there a program that has all the features of burrrn and free?

Thanks,
RH

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 15
Burrrn is not used to import CD's it is used to burn out CD's with the proper tags in the cda format regardless if it is from mp3, flac, wav, and so on.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 15
Burrrn was a nice little program. It had built in support for most lossy and lossless formats, burned straight from cue sheets, and had automatic CD-Text entry and gapless burning. It worked in Vista but it doesn't work in 7 unfortunately, at least not natively. It might be OK in compatibility mode. I'm currently using Burnaware Free with Win 7, which is a nice little lightweight general purpose burn program. It doesn't do everything Burrrn could do, but it gets the job done. It's too bad Burrrn is dead.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
It worked in Vista but it doesn't work in 7 unfortunately, at least not natively. It might be OK in compatibility mode.

How so? I have it installed right now on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit and have burned half a dozen cd's no problem.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 15
Oh? Hmm. I tried it once awhile ago, and got one of those "not compatible" installation errors that old programs sometimes get, so I moved on. Did you get that or did it just install normally?

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 15
Good to know, thanks. Burnaware Free is infinitely better than the (still!) amazingly terrible Windows burning engine for things like CD/DVD/BR data discs, but you can't just open a cue sheet and have it burn your Wavpack or APE files to CD like Burrrn can. I'll give it another try.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 15
what about ImgBrn? Free. Burn directly from CUE files, with CD-text. You can easily create CUE images from FLAC files. Actually, you can do a lot of trhings with that little program.

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. Burnaware Free is infinitely better than the (still!) amazingly terrible Windows burning engine for things like CD/DVD/BR data discs, but you can't just open a cue sheet and have it burn your Wavpack or APE files to CD like Burrrn can. I'll give it another try.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 15
Burrrn works fine on my Win 7 Pro 64bit machine, the reason as I mentioned earlier is the cd-text. I will have to look at the other programs as well.

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
what about ImgBrn? Free. Burn directly from CUE files, with CD-text. You can easily create CUE images from FLAC files. Actually, you can do a lot of trhings with that little program.

ImgBurn is superb for handling ISO images and .cue sheets, but you can't just throw any type of music file at it and hit go which is where Burrrn comes in. I'm surprised no one has bothered to create a direct replacement for it. I'd rather drive a nail through my head than use something like Nero or Roxio.

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 15
Well, Burnaware does FLAC natively also. The appeal of Burrrn is that you can load up Ogg files, Wavpack files, APE files, etc. without having to install or mess with anything. It's good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back