Is there a better pair of cans than the Audio Technica ATH-M50s?
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ludesco

New Head-Fier
I wanted to surprise my dad with a pair of quality headphones because he's been using a busted pair of Apple buds for three years. He's a huge music person, who will listen to anything from the 60s to the early 90s. You know, "Dad Rock" as they call it (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple). Anything over $200 and he'll tell me I've wasted money and feel bad taking them. He's worked very hard in providing my family with quality things that a $30 pair of Sonys won't suffice. I'm very much considering the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, as I've heard very good things about them from my colleagues.It would be great if you recommended over-ear headphones. 

It would also be a bonus if they were easily attainable in Ontario, Canada.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd recommend the Philips Fidelio X1 at $240 used in this situation, they do very well with rock and do not require an amp.  If your dad needs isolation at the expense of some sound quality, the SoundMAGIC HP100.

The M50 is very overrated, with a small soundstage, bloated bass, and a recessed midrange.  There are much better choices in the price range.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 8
  I wanted to surprise my dad with a pair of quality headphones because he's been using a busted pair of Apple buds for three years. He's a huge music person, who will listen to anything from the 60s to the early 90s. You know, "Dad Rock" as they call it (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple). Anything over $200 and he'll tell me I've wasted money and feel bad taking them. He's worked very hard in providing my family with quality things that a $30 pair of Sonys won't suffice. I'm very much considering the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, as I've heard very good things about them from my colleagues.It would be great if you recommended over-ear headphones. 

It would also be a bonus if they were easily attainable in Ontario, Canada.

We can assume this is for a portable audio player? Make and model?
Check out the JVC HA-S500 headphones, good for someone who like value for the money.
I've got the JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray), they are only sold in Japan, but easy to order off eBay.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 8
If he is a classic rock fan and likes to listen to his headphones at home, Grados are wonderful for all kinds of rock genres. They are open headphones, though, which makes them a bad choice for a portable set. They are easy to drive with portable audio sources like iPhones and iPods.

Not sure how easy they are to find in Canada, but a pair of Grado SR80i would be a nice gift. Grado lists a Canadian distributor on their website.

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Having had some experience with Grados, being a fan of anything from classic rock to metal, and being someone who lives in Toronto I think the Grados might be what you're looking for. They pair well with your father's musical taste and they are quite easy to find for such a lesser known brand (easy in the sense that a larger company distributes them and lesser known in the sense that your average consumer probably wouldn't know about them.).

http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=grado&sid=vn5t5eche82mvqn4ggsls5fgo0&x=0&y=0
You can find a pair in Canada Computers, but there's quite a markup. So unless you need them immediately, I would probably buy them online instead.

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 8
He might really like the Grados then. Since nothing sounds quite like them, I think the Canadian price linked to above for the SR80i makes them a good choice. You might look into Alessandros which are modified Grados (might be cheaper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back