Is there a better DAC/Headphone amp than the benchmark DAC1 for $USD1000?
Jan 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #46 of 48
+1. I feel the notion that DAC1 is cold and clinical is because many recordings are cold and clinical. DAC1 is a product that produce sounds true to the recordings. Most of my classical recordings sound very musical on my DAC1 Pre while many modern pop musics sound terribly cold and harsh. Meanwhile, recordings with good sonic reputation such as Eagle's hell freezes over sound fantastic with DAC1. They are warm and musical, and most importantly of all, sound like live. 

I suspect most criticisms of DAC1 come from people who mostly listen to "quick" and "modern" recordings. 
Quote:

I disagree that the DAC1 is a poor match with the HD800.   I'm presently using a DAC1-USB with a recabled (Cardas) HD800, while waiting for another manufacturers balanced amp to be built.   I have been surprisingly pleased by just how good the DAC1 and HD800 actually sounds.  Granted it is not the ultimate headphone amp by any means, but I do feel that the DAC1/HD800 combo may have been unfairly trashed simply because some people don't particularly like the neutral/transparent (read "dry") sound of the DAC1.   I will concede that poorly recorded, overequalized recordings with harsh treble and weak bass won't sound good at all with a DAC1, especially with the HD800, whereas some "warm" amps will make them more tolerable to listen to.  However, with a really excellent recording, the DAC1/HD800 can be very good indeed.   In fact, I would not want an amp or DAC that "rounds" out or blunts detail or resolution simply for the sake of euphony.    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, and for this reason I felt compelled to offer an alternative view of the DAC1/HD800 to set the record straight.   

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #47 of 48
My experience with the Dac1 was very positive, using it as a dac strictly. Very accurate, good features, and built to last. The only negative aspect is the headphone out, it needs more work. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #48 of 48
Formula, could you give a little bit more explanation when you said the headphone out needs more work? Technically, the amp shows little distortion (neither favorable nor unfavorable distortion). Do you mean you prefer a amp that adds some "favorable" distortions? I concern is that the "favorable" distortion may cause some recordings sound worse while make some sound better. Personally, I prefer an amp makes everything sound as it is recorded. 

Quote:
My experience with the Dac1 was very positive, using it as a dac strictly. Very accurate, good features, and built to last. The only negative aspect is the headphone out, it needs more work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back