Is there a 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced adapter cable and is it worth it?
Jul 26, 2021 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gil80

Head-Fier
Hi all.

I recently got iFi Zen DAC V2 that has balanced 4.4mm headphones output.
My current headphones are AudioTechnica ATH-A900X.

Is there such a cable adapter that converts the 3.5mm to 4.4mm and that is essentially converting the headphones to balanced? I might have phrased my question incorrectly due to slowly picking up on this subject :)

If such an option exists, is it actually good and worth it? what would you recommend? I live in Australia so my options are limited to Amazon AU and eBay AU.

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi all.

I recently got iFi Zen DAC V2 that has balanced 4.4mm headphones output.
My current headphones are AudioTechnica ATH-A900X.

Is there such a cable adapter that converts the 3.5mm to 4.4mm and that is essentially converting the headphones to balanced? I might have phrased my question incorrectly due to slowly picking up on this subject :)

If such an option exists, is it actually good and worth it? what would you recommend? I live in Australia so my options are limited to Amazon AU and eBay AU.

Thanks!

You can use a cable that is balanced (2.5 mm/4.4 mm) and use an adapter to connect it to a non balanced source.

But doing it the other way round (i.e. 3.5 mm unbalanced cable with an adapter to a balanced source), is gonna spoil your source. There are some unscrupulous shops selling such adapters though, but it is unsafe for the balanced amp.

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 11
You can use a cable that is balanced (2.5 mm/4.4 mm) and use an adapter to connect it to a non balanced source.

But doing it the other way round (i.e. 3.5 mm unbalanced cable with an adapter to a balanced source), is gonna spoil your source. There are some unscrupulous shops selling such adapters though, but it is unsafe for the balanced amp.
Just to make sure I understand correctly and also that I explained correctly, please see "diagram" below:

Source is PC --> iFi Zen DAC V2 balanced Amp/DAC --> 1. unbalanced 3.5mm output --> unbalanced headphones
___________________________________________________________ --> 2. balanced 4.4mm output --> 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter --> unbalanced headphones

So you're saying that if I buy these 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced adapters it will actually be worse for my balanced Zen DAC?

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 11
Just to make sure I understand correctly and also that I explained correctly, please see "diagram" below:

Source is PC --> iFi Zen DAC V2 balanced Amp/DAC --> 1. unbalanced 3.5mm output --> unbalanced headphones
___________________________________________________________ --> 2. balanced 4.4mm output --> 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter --> unbalanced headphones

So you're saying that if I buy these 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced adapters it will actually be worse for my balanced Zen DAC?

There are a lot of different adapters there in your link, not sure which one you are specifically referring to.

Balanced cable with adapter -> unbalanced source is okay

But suffice to say, do not use an adapter that promises unbalanced cable -> balanced source

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 11
There are a lot of different adapters there in your link, not sure which one you are specifically referring to.

Balanced cable with adapter -> unbalanced source is okay

But suffice to say, do not use an adapter that promises unbalanced cable -> balanced source
It's my lack of understanding obviously and I think I fail to explain what I wish for.
Here's an example of what I thought to buy -> OKCSC 3.5mm to 4.4mm Balanced Plug Adapter Conversion Cable 8 Core

My headphones are not balanced. They use a regular 3.5mm jack. I wanted to connect them to a female 3.5mm to male 4.4mm balanced cable and then that cable connects to the output of the balanced port on the Zen DAC.

I'm not sure if this is going to work and make my headphones "balanced" or not.

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 11
It's my lack of understanding obviously and I think I fail to explain what I wish for.
Here's an example of what I thought to buy -> OKCSC 3.5mm to 4.4mm Balanced Plug Adapter Conversion Cable 8 Core

My headphones are not balanced. They use a regular 3.5mm jack. I wanted to connect them to a female 3.5mm to male 4.4mm balanced cable and then that cable connects to the output of the balanced port on the Zen DAC.

No, these adapters will not make your headphones balanced. Your unbalanced hedphones will have the left and right ground connections tied at the 3.5mm connector. They will be soldered together. An adapter isn't going to be able to separate these tied grounds.

All the adapter will do is physically allow you to plug your unbalanced headphones into the balanced output of your amp, which I can't imagine will be good for the amp.

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 11

Do NOT use an adapter like this. It will likely cause a short within your amp.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 11
perhaps one of those DD Hi Fi adaptors will work?
maybe just the unbalanced 6.35mm output with an adaptor which will be definite safe

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 11

Fiio ff3 has this adapter cable. You can use both 3.5, 4.4 . Isn't that the same thing

May 11, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 11

Check fiio ff3 cable. It does both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back