Is the Zune80 the only real alternative to the iPod Classic?
Aug 11, 2008 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

robzy

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new MP3 player, and looking to stay away from Apple.

I'm wanting at least 60gb (might settle for less, but I wouldn't count on it) and a battery life of at least 20hours.

Problem is that most places seem to be producing smaller flash players, rather than HDD based ones, and the Zune80 seems to be the only alternative I can find.

Can anyone suggest any other options?

Thanks,
Rob.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the market for a new MP3 player, and looking to stay away from Apple.

I'm wanting at least 60gb (might settle for less, but I wouldn't count on it) and a battery life of at least 20hours.

Problem is that most places seem to be producing smaller flash players, rather than HDD based ones, and the Zune80 seems to be the only alternative I can find.

Can anyone suggest any other options?

Thanks,
Rob.

Well, there's Creative's Zen W 60GB, expensive though, Archos 605 & 705, which goes up to 180GB, if I'm not wrong, COWON A3 80GB, expensive though, Wolverine ESP 80 GB also expensive, Blue Raven MediaMate 7080 80 GB Media Player another expensive one.

But what's wrong with the Zune? I have several and find them to be great. They're based on the Toshiba S series.

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 12
If you are looking for >60GB, the Zune and Zen W 60GB are pretty much the best alternatives to the iPod Classic. If you are able to settle for less you can get a 16GB D2 and add in a 32GB SD card. For 48GB.

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif
Ultimately though a lot of those players are just too big (I forgot to mention, I'd like it to be smaller sized) and/or have too low battery life.

The main problem with the Zune is that it isn't actually available in Australia (or anywhere outside the US/Canada afaik) which means I'll have to get it from overseas. And warranty issues might be tricky.

Rob.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just now though about the 32GB Zen X-Fi. You can do what the other poster said, get a 32GB card and you'd have 64GB with the Zen.

Nope. Zen's SD card is not integrated to its library, so it's pretty useless.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Zen's SD card is not integrated to its library, so it's pretty useless.

Although the memory is an additional menu item, it definitely will access it. Unless you are referring to the fact that it won't show its contents in a system main media folder like music or video or pictures. It will be available to use and what I do is split my media up. I use the system memory for music and a card for videos. Unless the OP is going to store more than 32GB of music on the player, there shouldn't be an issue. Then again, I use lossy files. I'm becoming aware that there are people in this forum who prefer lossless. In which case, yes, it might be an issue.

The only other option would be an expensive 32GB Sansa View and a 32GB MicroSDHC. But I don't much care for Sandisk because of their ties with the movie industry and making their video playing devices useless for playing video files not converted with Sansa Media Converter, which is incredibly limited on settings for controlling file size and such and still produces a crappy video.

That and their lack of a protective coating for controlling scratches and such on their players. The Fuze, View , "C" and "E" series players all are prone to scratches, the Fuze worst of all. Also the sound quality leave a lot to be desired.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Unless the OP is going to store more than 32GB of music on the player, there shouldn't be an issue.

I'm afraid he is.

Rob.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Also the sound quality leave a lot to be desired.

What's wrong with their sound quality? I think you'll struggle to find sound quality that can match the Sansa offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back