Is the X5 the best DAP under $500 ?
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #31 of 52
I haven't heard the DX90 - but if people are saying that it is slightly more analytical than the X5 - and if you consider the HD650 analytical (IMO it's actually on the warm and dark side) - then I think the choice for you is easy.  Either X5, or maybe even X3.

I own the X5 - the UI is pretty functional already and getting better with each firmware release.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #32 of 52
Another thing I felt I should mention: all I have right now is an iPod Classic. I only find it to sound listenable when I set the EQ to its Electronic setting. On any other setting, or with the EQ off, it sounds very bland to me.

This would be a different story with an external amp/DAC. However, the X5 and DX90 don't seem to benefit as much from amplification. Due to their powerful amp cards, they can even drive most flagship headphones! I recall reading a review or two that claimed it sounded better without an amp with their particular setup. The E12 is the best value I've seen in a portable amp, but may not be necessary. It's all about system synergy.

In any case, either player should be a worthwhile step up for both of us.
smile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 52
I prefer the DX90 and don't find it analytical in the least. That said, the x5 is stronger for the most demanding loads. I personally didn't care for the X5 character, a little too full while pushing the lower treble a bit as well, but we're all different and most don't hear it that way. You hear the classic as I do. I find the 650 more soft than dark but it's been a while and don't know if the sig has changed with later series.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #34 of 52
  Another thing I felt I should mention: all I have right now is an iPod Classic. I only find it to sound listenable when I set the EQ to its Electronic setting. On any other setting, or with the EQ off, it sounds very bland to me.

This would be a different story with an external amp/DAC. However, the X5 and DX90 don't seem to benefit as much from amplification. Due to their powerful amp cards, they can even drive most flagship headphones! I recall reading a review or two that claimed it sounded better without an amp with their particular setup. The E12 is the best value I've seen in a portable amp, but may not be necessary. It's all about system synergy.

In any case, either player should be a worthwhile step up for both of us.
smile.gif

Rockbox, silly.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #35 of 52
My 650's are 7 + years old now :) spent almost $1000 on the, I don't regret it, they are wonderful, were blissful when I had the right gear to drive it proper, now I don't.

From what you guys are saying at the moment, I recon the 650 to pair better with the X5.

But mind you most of my listening 75% will be done with the Senn ie80's. They are a bit base heavy :)

I'd rather have a problem free ui as I don't want to mess around with constant updates.

in a few months I hope to upgrade my ie80's for something better yet still below $600-700/-

I think the x5 and the coming upgrade in iem's will keep me happy till 2-3 years down the line when I can afford a higher end combo.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #39 of 52

I heard that some of the older iPods sound better. I wonder if there is anything else that can be done to improve the abilities of the latest model I have.

Sell it and buy the X5 :)

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #40 of 52
On A series note, Will the type of memory card have a big impact on the load speeds ?

Or will any UHS 1 class 10 Micro SD do ? (With the X5)

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #42 of 52
Is the AK100 better than the X5 ?

There is one for sale on head-fi classifieds for $300 ??

Please let me know ASAP guys

thank you

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #43 of 52
  Is the AK100 better than the X5 ?

There is one for sale on head-fi classifieds for $300 ??

Please let me know ASAP guys

thank you

Snatch it up! (I say this mainly because the retail price is $699.)

That being said, I will paste a few comparisons here as I come by them:

"I enjoy the X5’s sound more than the Astell & Kern AK100 (Mk1 or Mk2 variants) though I have to admit that the Astell have more steps, more resolution, and easily sounds richer in the small details. For some reason the X5’s sound is less tiring and more analog. Certainly the Fiio sounds darker in tonality, though the brilliant clarity still shines through the black background of the music. It’s undeniable that the AK100s is a step up in resolving micro details, portraying ambiance, and seems to have far more steps in the gradients from soft to loud passages, but these strong points fail to dull the X5’s sound quality. The X5 felt more analog, somewhat like a poor man’s Altmann Tera. The superior depth of the X5 combined with the wider soundstage and blacker background, makes the music more palpable than on the AK, even if the X5 doesn’t resolve as much micro details as the AK. The X5 also sounds more planted on the low end, and I’m not talking bass presence here (though the Fiio’s bass slams harder), but rather a feeling of weight that gives each note in the music a more realistic feel.
The dynamic range is better on the AK (the steps from soft to loud passages), but the dynamics or the explosiveness is far stronger on the X5, even when driving easy IEMs from the lowly Visang, Ocharaku’s Donguri, to the mighty FitEar MH335DW. My verdict between the AK100 (Mk1 or Mk2) and the X5, in this case, is that while the AK resolves more, the X5 makes a more lifelike music."

"can’t quite reach the heights of the AK100"

"I loved the RWAK100 and held it in high regard as a reference for affordable portable sound, but the X5 offered greater accuracy and size in the soundstage!"

"I am surprised about its sound quality even better than my AK100. X5 sounds more organic, more dynamic, more musical with a wider sound stage and with the same level of details than AK100."

I'm too lazy to dig deeper. The X5 is definitely better value.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #44 of 52
Actually i just addicted in high res music, start from learning about the headphones then the music file types... At last, I,m studying right now about the DAC, amp and DAP. Since, you all are really well experienced on portable high res audio. Now i finally have my Sennheiser momentum
smily_headphones1.gif
, I bought it because of good outlook design and one of the best portable headphone in market. After bought my momentum, now i start to feel like no so enough to use my Iphone 5 + hippo cricri amp drive momentum... I just hope someone can suggest the best DAP for the Sennheiser Momentum. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #45 of 52
I wanted to buy second ibasso DX90. Still i am using apple nano with zero audio basso. I dont understand ibasso what is dx90 firmware how it works. I am worring if ibasso stop there Manufacturing of DX90. then what about update how can i improve DX90 SQ. i also dont know what is DX90's last update.is it basso's last update. I heard dx90 and dx90 going to discontinue by Manufacturer(basso) please inform me what is Dx90's Sound Quality with last Firmware. (If we consider ibasso stop there firmware updates for DX90)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back