Is the World Finally Realizing that Flashy Headphones like Beats and Skullcandy are not Worth it?
Feb 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

toddy844

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Just wanting to hear your thoughts on celebrity-endorsed/fashion headphones which cost so much but offer very little in terms of quality!

A few months ago, I came across a list made by Time Magazine where they ranked Beats and Skullcandy towards the bottom of their best brands list.

Last night, I came across a similar list of the best headphone brands: http://headfonic.com/best-headphone-brands/

I thought this article was really good in the sense that the sound quality has been made the priority and some top cans are on the list unlike the Time Magazine article. 

But, the main thing I noticed was the exclusion of Beats, Skullcandy, Monster and these types of fashion headphones. This brings me to my question that are people finally realizing that they're better off going for your Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics or is it just the so called “experts” who are starting the bashing?

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 16
I think the average person doesn't really research what they purchase when it comes to headphones, they just get what seems trendy at the time and looks cool at the store. Beats and Skullcandy have always been rated as poor by most reviews, that hasn't stopped everyone on the street buying them at all.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 16
  I think the average person doesn't really research what they purchase when it comes to headphones, they just get what seems trendy at the time and looks cool at the store. Beats and Skullcandy have always been rated as poor by most reviews, that hasn't stopped everyone on the street buying them at all.

I completely agree with you there but there are so many "proper" headphones which are miles better looking than brands like Beats! 

I guess the common mentality is that if my favorite Basketball player wears these headphones, I need to buy the same pair...pretty pathetic if you ask me!

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 16
  Did anyone manage to check out the second list and compare it to the one made by Time?

Both lists have some good companies on them. More or less half of them are the same ones, in fact.

If you want to learn about some of the best headphones available, start with these links:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-ultra-high-end-headphones-summit-fi
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 16
The general public only sees and agrees with what current "artists" say.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 16
Well that's unfortunate. As both Beats and Skull Candy have improved their product lines drastically. Hell, the Solo2 is on the Innerfidelity wall of fame alongside the V-Moda XS and Sennheiser Urbanite.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 16
Well that's unfortunate. As both Beats and Skull Candy have improved their product lines drastically. Hell, the Solo2 is on the Innerfidelity wall of fame alongside the V-Moda XS and Sennheiser Urbanite.

Would you have em over any of the other brands on the list though? I probably wouldn't!

Interesting, Shure takes the #1 spot? Along with Klipsch?

Yeah, Shure takes top spot in the Time article but Audeze is #1 in the Headfonic article though I was disappointed with Stax missing out!

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 16
  though I was disappointed with Stax missing out!

STAX was founded in 1938 and invented electrostatic headphones in 1959, yet they get barely any recognition outside the serious audiophile realm, mostly due to the fact that their headphones (or earspeakers as they like to call them) require a dedicated electrostatic headphone amplifier, plus they're expensive. Only a few other companies even make electrostatic headphones. There aren't many other headphone companies that approach the level of respect I have for STAX.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 16
The fad is going out of style. How awful 
evil_smiley.gif

Personally If I could get something like the Senn HD600 with the design of the camo Monster DNA I'd be set, but yeah

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 16

STAX was founded in 1938 and invented electrostatic headphones in 1959, yet they get barely any recognition outside the serious audiophile realm, mostly due to the fact that their headphones (or earspeakers as they like to call them) require a dedicated electrostatic headphone amplifier, plus they're expensive. Only a few other companies even make electrostatic headphones. There aren't many other headphone companies that approach the level of respect I have for STAX.

Definitely agree completely there! I don't actually own a pair of Stax headphones but did try the SR-009 a while back. Life hasn't been the same since haha...

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 16
Personally, I think most people see their favorite NBA player wearing Beats or whatever and think, Hey, that guy can afford anything and he's listening to brand X--they must be awesome. I think I'll buy those.
It's called marketing for a reason--it works. If Stax had the marketing budget of Beats/Apple, everyone would be talking about Stax. Put them on Lebron and everyone will want them. It's just the way sales and marketing works. Product visibility is critical in the sales process and cycle. Most of the brands we (on head-fi) all listen to lack that broad visibility because consumer products are so expensive to market and put in front of people. And that, to me, is why we see Beats and Monster and Skull Candy so ubiquitously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back