Is the UM3X RC worth the extra money?
Aug 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Trist

Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting the UM3X, Is the removable cable version worth the extra $20? I would like your opinion :)

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 18
its definitely worth it long term. If your cable breaks or starts to wear out, you can swap a different cable instead of sending it back to Westone. Another great thing are the experiments with different cables such as Copper or silver stranded cables. I would definitely recommend a TWag cable for the um3x which i am currently using and it sounds amazing.
beyersmile.png

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 18
Since the UM3X is pretty much at the top of the universal IEM chain I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while, I'll get the RC version. Thanks :)

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
its definitely worth it long term. If your cable breaks or starts to wear out, you can swap a different cable instead of sending it back to Westone. Another great thing are the experiments with different cables such as Copper or silver stranded cables. I would definitely recommend a TWag cable for the um3x which i am currently using and it sounds amazing.
beyersmile.png

Wait, you spent 2/3rd the price of your IEM for the cable? .........

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:

There isn't really any universal IEMs significantly better than the UM3X since it's at the top of the universal IEM price range, why not try and get the most out of it?

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 18
I still think you should get the best possible amp/source first before upgrading the cable.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 18
agree, i really don't think silver cables make a difference in sound. it should really be the LAST thing to upgrade in your chain. source and headphones are obviously the main things to focus on first. the um3x really doesn't need an amp, so you're lucky in that aspect since you don't have to struggle with synergy and crap.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Well, there are people who are willing to spend the amounts equivalent to their JH16s on the crystal piccolino cables. And different cables do change the sound, for better or for worse is up to you to decide

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:

Well, there are people who are willing to spend the amounts equivalent to their JH16s on the crystal piccolino cables. And different cables do change the sound, for better or for worse is up to you to decide

For worse, because it fuels the fact that us as human beings are so easily fooled with our perception to reality. Or in other words, we fall prey to placebo far too often in this hobby.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 18
...And the cable debate continues. 
L3000.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 18
Just do a A/B blindfolded test. And no offense but I feel that if you don't believe in the change of sound in cables since placebo might be present, then obviously you won't bother to justify any difference since even if there was, you'd pass it on as placebo. Hope you get what I'm saying (it isn't easy typing on headfi through an iPhone. If only there was a mobile version of the site..)

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Just do a A/B blindfolded test. And no offense but I feel that if you don't believe in the change of sound in cables since placebo might be present, then obviously you won't bother to justify any difference since even if there was, you'd pass it on as placebo. Hope you get what I'm saying (it isn't easy typing on headfi through an iPhone. If only there was a mobile version of the site..)

It's called a self fulfilling prophesy and is a predominant as placebo. Best to leave these things to individual perception.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 18
well there many other cable choices other than Whiplash and ALO audio, mine only cost me around 70bucks which seems reasonable for the amount of satisfaction I got from the cable. I don't know how am I going to discuss this cable matter but the full silver cable did make a noticeable difference, and I am sure its not placebo.

Quote:

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 18
Using the RC version doesn't mean you have to replace the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back