Is The Ultimate Ears® UE-10 Pro™ Worth Getting?
Mar 5, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #136 of 145
I have no dog in this fight, but I personally think the Customs islolate better.

To me they are going to always reach their tested isloation #. A universal MIGHT (under the perfect condition - best sleeve, best fit, before it starts to come loose as you yawn, etc) reach their tested isolation #.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #137 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no dog in this fight, but I personally think the Customs islolate better.

To me they are going to always reach their tested isloation #. A universal MIGHT (under the perfect condition - best sleeve, best fit, before it starts to come loose as you yawn, etc) reach their tested isolation #.

I think that's true of the standard foams, but you haven't tried Complys.
smily_headphones1.gif
I liked the default Shure foamies but only for the 4 uses before they wore out. Bought a boxload of Complys and haven't looked back...

Customs will seal the outer ear better, but foam can expand to fill irregularities in the ear canal in a way that customs obviously can't.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #138 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that's true of the standard foams, but you haven't tried Complys.
smily_headphones1.gif
I liked the default Shure foamies but only for the 4 uses before they wore out. Bought a boxload of Complys and haven't looked back...

Customs will seal the outer ear better, but foam can expand to fill irregularities in the inner ear in a way that customs obviously can't.

It depends how deep your custom IEMs go. Customs are meant to be custom (duh!), so they will theoretically fill your ears perfectly everytime.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #139 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends how deep your custom IEMs go. Customs are meant to be custom (duh!), so they will theoretically fill your ears perfectly everytime.

I meant that customs cannot be any larger than the entry to your ear canal (otherwise they won't get in). So if any part of the ear canal is wider or taller than the entry point, it will be impossible for customs to seal that part perfectly. Foam on the other hand can expand once it's gone in.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #140 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant that customs cannot be any larger than the entry to your ear canal (otherwise they won't get in). So if any part of the ear canal is wider or taller than the entry point, it will be impossible for customs to seal that part perfectly. Foam on the other hand can expand once it's gone in.

yeah, to me, the yellow foamies tend to give me a better seal than the UE-10pro. it isolates sound better. but out of the two, the UE-10's are more comfortable.

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #141 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of getting the Ue-10's as an upgrade to my Ety 4P's until I read this quote. If the Ue-10's are anything like the HD650's then they are off my list. I've owned the 650's for 2 years and they are currently the least favorite of the headphones that I own. I guess I will wait for Westone UM3. I'm not bashing the Senn sound, I enjoyed the 650's when I first bought them but I've grown away their sound and enjoy all of my AKG's cans (K701, K340 and K501) by quite a bit over the 650.

If you like you Ety ER4P's, then you probably will not like the UE-10. The sound signatures are very different. The UE-10 doesn't have the same midrange emphasis that Etymotic has. In fact, the UE-10's are very bass heavy and are very sensitive: I've tried a couple of portable headphone amplifiers and there is hiss. (The UE10+headroom's MicroAmp with the micro electronics module or the desktop electronics module)

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #142 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen you say you prefer your UE-10 to pretty much anything else (unless I've read you wrong). What other cans have you tried? I'm sure quite a few, but I have to ask
wink.gif

The list is long and distinguished:

K1000
R10
CD3000
HD650
HD600
HD595
PS1
HP2
Big O
Baby O
etc., etc., etc... (I've been to a lot of meets and have some very good friends that have dropped some serious coin on this hobby like Edwood, Iron_Dreamer, and LFF.)

There is one caveat to this. Many of the headphones I've heard do this little thing or that little thing better than the UE-10 (the airiness and wide soundstage of open cans is often preferred by many), but none offer IMO a better overall experience. This includes things like comfort, portability, aesthetics along with sound quality.

One of the things I love about the 10s, and IEMs in general, is that I get consistent sound no matter where I am. With open cans, changing environments changes the listening experience considerably. In many cases, with these big guns, you also have to have big amplification, adding considerable cost, hassle, and a severe lack of portability. I'm not talking about just plugging into an iPod either, transportability is often a problem as well.

Another major factor in this is that I listen to many different kinds of music so my headphone/earphone must preform well across the board. While the K1000 and R10 preform admirably for classical, I wouldn't consider them to be top performers when it comes to goa, hard rock, or hip hop. Grados rock, but don't rap, etc. The 10s sound fantastic with everything I've thrown at them.

Also for what it's worth, I didn't love my first pair of 10s nearly as much as I love my current pair. After the refit/remake they seal up much better and I have a much fuller and richer sound.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #145 of 145
Interesting on the description of the E500..I have them and I like them....but I don't love them....

I love them for the fact that the highs are slightly rolled off...making heavier rock and some hip hop less edgy..especially bad recordings...cymbals and what not aren't in your face.....

The mid range is beautiful....

The bass is a little lean....I do not feel that the E500 is bloated or heavy in bass by any means......

I am still looking for something that sounds a little fuller..like a Revel F52 Home Speaker :wink:

-Nate

BTW: I am listening with the foam plugs on a 1gig shuffle....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back