Is the UE super-fi 3 a safe buy?
Mar 18, 2006 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
There aren't as many threads about the Ultimate Ear super.fi3 as there are about the five.

Is the three a safe buy? Does it have any objectionable qualities? Is it reasonably well-built?

I'm not happy with Sony and Panny IEMs. I'm not sure if I should try the Creatives aor just get the UE 3's for $70 at Macmall. I just want something decent. Etys are too much and I don't want 30 db of quiet.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 10
You say they are only $7, but I'm guessing that's a typo.

I happen to have them (got for christmas) and I'm not extremely impressed with them. Bass is often very quiet, though it extends lower than earbuds. I hear minor sibilance (but that's just me, nobody else seems to) and the midrange sounds "distant". The highs are neither good or bad. I'm expecting these will improve a lot with the cmoy I'm building. Isolation is also dissapointing.

I'd say just go for the ep630s on amazon.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
I wouldn't consider an IEM a "safe buy"

Agreed, especially when you don't know how to make a perfect seal.

Go with the EP630, like Bob suggested. It should begin OR end your trip to the IEM road.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 10
I used to have the Shure E4 and Sony ex81 and currently have the Westone UM2. Anyway, I have had the Creative ep630 for a few days now, and I think it's unbeatable for it's price. While I haven't gone any careful ABing, I would say it offers maybe 80% of the performance of the UM2 for 1/10th the price, and it is significantly better than the Sonys.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 10
I was only mildly satisfied with the super.fi 3 studio... but I'm so spoiled by the 5 Pro model (which is dual-driver) that I couldn't help but expect similar sound quality.

I'm hoping UE will come out with something in between the 3 and the 5 series... But in answer to the original question, it is a safe buy in terms of build quality, but you may be a bit disappointed with the sound. Altec Lansing recently partnered with Etymotic and put out a midrange IEM that sounds really good (by that I mean accurate) -- the IM616.

I've also had experience with all of the Shure models; the E2c being the one in the same price range as the super.fi 3. Given the choice between them, I'd go with the UE because I like the design better, but they both have their sound trade-offs.

BTW, if you're a bass junkie, the Sennheiser CX-300 are much better than the Sony EX series... tighter cleaner bass and better highs, plus better efficiency.

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 10
I have one last question, is the superfi sturdy enough to wrap around an Ipod Nano and carry it in a pocket? I want these for portable use. It's down to that or the Creatives. If the UEs will last I'll spring for those.

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by riker1384
I have one last question, is the superfi sturdy enough to wrap around an Ipod Nano and carry it in a pocket? I want these for portable use. It's down to that or the Creatives. If the UEs will last I'll spring for those.

IEMs are not study enough for that if you wear jeans and are active

You have to make a judgement call here based on the pants/shorts you wear and how much you twist/turn/are active

Users who are viewing this thread

Back