Is the stock HD-650 really that bad?
Nov 7, 2007 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MH79

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: Thread title should be: Is the stock HD-650 cable really that bad?

I'm using the stock HD-650 cable right now and it seems good...

I've also re-terminated a 2nd HD-650 cable for balanced use, by just changing the plug... Now, I'm tempted to mod this cable further by just using the Senn plugs (for the headphones), and doing a full recable....

Now, the stock HD-650 cable seems pretty durable and free from microphonics, which are my main concerns along with SQ...

Now if I was to do a re-cable, would I be able to keep or have better durability, along with a low amount of microphonics?

I'm probably going to use this cable as it fits in my Neutrik 3.5mm jacks, and I already have a few meters of it gathering dust:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?sku=3855703

I'm guessing the SQ should be similar as they are both OFC, but if I was to recable I could wire ground to the shielding which should reduce interference... so would there be any downsides to a recable as it's pretty much a one-way process?

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 6
HD650 owners claim that there are magic headphone cables/amps that make the HD650 better than anything. I've yet to encounter them. I suggest enjoying what the HD650 has to offer and not worring about the cable.
You seem to have the materials and time on you hands though, go ahead and give it a try.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 6
I've never heard any difference in any aftermarket cable on an HD600 or HD650, but I suspect that the subtle changes are more apparent to someone who uses them as their primary headphone.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 6
I actually think it's pretty good- it provides a nice improvement on the 580s. I guess it depends if you like the stock 650 or not. I was not that fond of it until I started using a RAL cable and upgraded to a Lavry/ Opera rig. Going balanced made it even better.

I never got the feeling that the 650 complaints were necessarily about the cable, but more about the overall dark sound of the headphone/cable. Some people just feel like tweaking it will bring it closer to what they are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back