Is the "sound" of iPod Touch different from the classic iPod's?
Aug 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sabatar

100+ Head-Fier
Apologies for a redundant topic. I know there must be a ton of info about this, but I don't have the time to go through the search results and sift through the posts to reach a conclusion.

I bought iPod classic in 2005 and lost it in a rain flood and then bought another in 2007 with a capacity of 160 GB. I always had a gripe about the SQ for being low ay max levels and confined to pre-set EQ options that don't sit me.

I went the Sony/Cowon way and left the 160 GB iPod in my drawer.

Based on thoughts some of the guys here, I listened to my iPhone 4 and discovered it wasn't bad AT ALL like I held it to be because when I tried it with TF10, sound was thin and totally unacceptable. Yesterday, I coupled it to my mini amp: The Predator by RSA and the result was SUPER with EQ set on Classic and Rock. I'm buying the EQu software from Appple soon to get even better result as evident by answers from posters on this forum.

Now, I need to know if iPod Touch 64 GB will give me the SAME EXACT sound of iPhone 4, then I'll go for it instead of getting Cowon x7. My question is: Is iPod Touch different in sound from iPod Classic like my iPhone 4 is?

ps. Yesterday, I coupled my classic iPod to the Predator amp and the results were not satisfactory.

Many thanks in advance.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 21
I've only heard a 2G and 3G iPod Touch. But both were much better to my ears than any iPod Classic I've heard. 4G, 5G, 6G. The iPod Classic, just weren't enjoyable for me. Great capacity though. Miss that on flash players. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 21
You should try the iPod touch 3G, i think it pairs up quite well with the TF10 - brings up the mids and upper bass, although not as detailed as the iphone 4 and perhaps the Touch 4G?

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 21
I've got both the latest iPod 160gb and the Touch 4G 64gb.  The Touch is quite noticeably better.  It's pretty good out of the HP out and with a LOD and a decent amp it really sounds great.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 21
This in not a redundant topic at all. My 512 gig 2005 I-Pod Shuffle finally died after all these years. I thought it had the best sound. 

There is really not a lot of information as to which I-Pod sounds best. There is also many different views on each sound signature. The truth is each I-Pod has it's own sound. Many have different D/A chips in them. I feel they have gone down in SQ. With an aftermarket D/A it does not matter.

The best way is to test for yourself. I am down to a 2005 mini as my best sounding one. I like the sound much better than the Touch I own. The other cool thing about the old Mini is the display stays on all the time with out lowering the battery.You can read what song you are hearing all the time! Have the Touch do that one.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 21
Thank you all for your replies. Well, I went through ordeals getting the EQu application on my iPhone 4 :) I purchased an iTunes from a shop here in Dubai after a loooong search. They sell them for DOUBLE their value :frowning2:. Thing is, these cards are only redeemable in the USA as I heard so I had to create an address in the USA and I entered the wrong email address after the redemption went OK. So I couldn't activate the account and the card was stuck there. Emailed iTunes and sorted things out in two days of struggle.

The long and the short: EQu on my iPhone 4 + The Predator portable amp + Denon A-HD 5000 = SQ that has not been beaten by ANY other DAP and I have tried many. I'm in screw*G AWE.

I still have to be sure that the SQ quality of iPod Touch 4 64gb is exactly the same of my iPhone 4 so that I can make the purchase without worry.

On another note, J3 is awesome without the amp (amping it with The Predator actually worsens its sound and gives it an edge of distortion). On the other hand, the combination above (iPhone 4 with EQu + The Predator is SUPER SUPER AWESOME and matchless, IMO and in my experience so far. Cheers.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 21
Guys, I'm so excited :) I pulled out Audion Technica ATH ESW9 which I gave up on for it's horribly rolled of highs and plugged it into my iPhone4 without the amp and the result is SHEER brilliance. If only the volume was a tad higher--makes a better experience on the go without the amp slapped in between and making the pocket swell.

Funny thing is three guys in my office are downloading EQu on their phones :O)

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 21
The strange thing about volume is that after some time you may think you do not need any more volume.

Quote:
Guys, I'm so excited :) I pulled out Audion Technica ATH ESW9 which I gave up on for it's horribly rolled of highs and plugged it into my iPhone4 without the amp and the result is SHEER brilliance. If only the volume was a tad higher--makes a better experience on the go without the amp slapped in between and making the pocket swell.

Funny thing is three guys in my office are downloading EQu on their phones :O)

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 21

Funny thing about those Shuffles.  I personally find the audio on my newest gen shuffle to be better than my newest gen touch.  Now if you add the Equaliser or EQu app then it's a little different.  But to me the sound of the new shuffle is pretty good.  It's on the warm and bassy side, but that's my preference anyway. 

Quote:
This in not a redundant topic at all. My 512 gig 2005 I-Pod Shuffle finally died after all these years. I thought it had the best sound. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 21
Maybe I should try one. I now have a memory stick port on the back of my Samsung 42inch 1080P Plasma which turns the TV into an MP3 player. It shows the Shuffle as an I-Pod and lets me play songs but that old Shuffle does not work by itself anymore. 

Before I went 64bit with I-tunes nothing would put songs into that old Shuffle but I have a DVD player which will rip MP3s from CDs with no computer. It thought the Shuffle was a memory stick and would load songs onto it! LOL

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 21
I wonder if all the extras degrade the SQ of I-Pods. The Touch has to be a WI/Fi device, play MP4s and MP3s. The Touch is a small information device, like a smart phone with no phone.

A Shuffle only has to play music, that's what I thought.

My Shuffle was 512 mb not gig by the way.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm afraid I'm gonna wet my pants LOL... I bought Dr, Dre by beats Pro a while back in a haste and them hated it for the boomy, undefined bass and its treble anemia. I plugged it into iPhone and pushed the the right-most level to the limit and OMG I got a beautiful sparkle in the highes, then meddled a bit with the curve at at the left side to get some roundedness to the bass and it HAPPENED :) Man, this equalizer is so friggin nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back