Is the Sony MDR-848 worth buying?
Apr 30, 2004 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I can buy the MDR-E848 earbud original from Japan, 5 years old, for half the price, that is about 15USD. Is it good earbud, or it is waste of money?

I read some posts here that it sound great, terrible, average etc... and on Goodcans.com is a note it was their favorite earbud.

So what you suggest, please?

Your

Moonwalker

May 1, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 4
I used to own a pair of the 848 that I bought back in '95 or '96. I liked them a lot -- very good sound, I thought, for an earbud, esp. from a portable jack. I've used numerous earbuds, including the Senns (own mx-5 and MX-500), and all up and down Sony's line from the freebies up to the 888s. While I broke the 848s several years ago (by stepping on them) I still remember them fondly. Also, a lot of people (not Head-Fi types) when they heard them would comment that they sounded good. Where can you get them for $15? I might want to get a pair at that price.

May 1, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Ugh...

No... in a word, I really don't like the things, they have something really weird going on in the midrange
eek.gif

That being said, i'm not that much of a fan (anymore) of the E888s either, although - hard to find, the MDR-E868 is supposed to be pretty good...

Get yourself a pair of MX400 and don't look back
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 4
"Mediocre" is exactly what I would describe the sound of the MDR-E848LP. It's not horrible as such, but it's not very good either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back