Is the Sony D-EJ01 worth the $$$?
Jan 8, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 29
I think it is definately worth at least $200, but not retail value. I love slot loading and it is perfect with the headroom airbag. It reeks of quality!! I don't know much about the headphone out, but the line out is impeccable.
I've owned two D777s, a D-E555, and this CD player tops them all. I would look for it on eBay.

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 29
Utdeep... You think that the D-EJ01 sounds better than the D777? or is it the features that you prefer?

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 29
The only other portable CD player I've used is the Sony D-301. I simply got the D-EJ01 because of slot loading and because it is reported to have a good line-out. It's much easier to use with the airbag because I don't need to open the bag all the way to switch discs. In the time I've used it I've liked it very much.

Jan 9, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 29
I definately think the line out is far better but this is arguable to others. I love the features (long battery life, magnesium build, slot loading, no lame microplug remote like the D777, no requirement on using gumsticks like the D777 which has a AA battery extender that covers up the lineout
mad.gif
).

In my controversial opinion, the D777 doesn't hold a candle to the D-EJ01. I use Etys, so I can notice the subtle differences between them, and thus determine that I like the sound of the D-EJ01. My amps in the evaluation were the Headroom cosmic and the Porta Corda.

I sold one of my D777s a while ago, and gave the other to my sister. Good news is that the hype surrounding them will always allow me to sell one for a high price!

Dan, did you notice that the pivot of the airbag's main compartment has a sleeve that can easily hold the D-EJ01s AA battery extender? It's awesome!

Jan 9, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 29
Hehe, yeah, I noticed... but I gutted a leather CD-case which had CD sleeves inside it to put the sleeves in the other half of the main compartment (could always use more music
wink.gif
), so that wouldn't fit.
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 29
I LOVE my D-EJ01. The line out is a huge plus and the slot loading is nice, not to mention the "cool factor".

RickG-- I use mine with a Cosmic also and I'm in heaven. Ad some Ety's and it's total la-la land no matter where I am. (except driving, of course
very_evil_smiley.gif

I also posted on another thread this tidbit about the D-EJ01. If you take the gumstick batteries out (such as to charge them externally or trade out with spares), make sure you reinsert them gently from a flat position. Don't "drop" them in from above so that they bounce up and down on the contact spring of the player. This will bend the player's contact spring and make the player useless. I have had this experience. I now only charge the batteries in the player (careful not to over-charge, thanks to the discussions on this forum) and use the AA battery extender if I need it. The AA's will actually recarge the gumsticks as you use it! (But see utdeep's thread on why he doesn't use gumsticks. He brings up some good points.)

steven in Dallas

Jan 9, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 29
Thats a real sickener then, because the D-EJ01, although advertised in the Sony consumer catalogue, has never been (so far as I am aware, and i've been looking since i first saw them online) for sale in the UK
frown.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 29
I love my '01 for its functionality but I can't really tell any differerance in sound quality between it and the 925 that I also own. I got mine from some wacky website that no longer exists (you placed an order at some bid price then they got back to you to see if they could get it for you at that price). I know I got mine for less than list but I think it was still over $200. Since its 2+years old now maybe the prices will start coming down (I wouldn't hold by breathe tho...).

Jan 10, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I was just wondering if the Sony D-EJ01 PCDP is worth the money. If so, who has the best price?

Of course not.
My secondhand d777 costs me only 350RMB (less than 50$).

Jan 10, 2002 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Thats a real sickener then, because the D-EJ01, although advertised in the Sony consumer catalogue, has never been (so far as I am aware, and i've been looking since i first saw them online) for sale in the UK
frown.gif

Hi Duncan
I obtained a 01 from a sony centre shop,at the time they said it
was the last one in the uk.
It is nice to see people enjoying them! mine "blew up" within
2 weeks, when I returned it the seller said that,
every one that had been sold had been returned with faults!!!!
I have not read of any complaints about them here so I am
assuming it was a faulty batch, be glad you did not get one of
those!
And it seemed such a quality product I loved it[worried
about the slot loaders potential for scratching CDs though]

Shame,
frown.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 29
lol Setmenu, I'm glad I didn't get one then

It puzzles me how the '01 was cheaper than the D777, had all this whizzy technology, but still manages to sound better?!?

I guess that 'line-out' technology could well have improved, but with smaller head-amps, and nasty technology like G-Shock.... hmm

Damn, gotta find one to do an A/B comparison for myself

Jan 10, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 29
Well the headphone out of the DE-J01 I had sounded vastly inferior to the headphone out of my D-465 using my 888s...I got rid of the J01 about 2 weeks after I got it. I never tried the Line Out though, this was all before the age of headphone amps.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back