Is the Shure SRH940 right for me? Any Kalafina fans?
Dec 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

IMAWolf

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, just got "seriously" into head-fi a few weeks ago when i got a real job =P. 
Anyway, i'm looking for new headphones. I'm coming from a MS1000i and have done quite a lot of research, so far, the list goes something like: HD598/SRH940/DJ100.

Basically, i'm a BIG fan of Kalafina and the vocals on the MS1000i just don't grab me that much, so i'm looking for an upgrade with i don't know the jargon... more "intense" bass and stronger vocals.

Feel free to suggest other cans too, these are mostly for home use and i plan on getting a DACport soon so amping shouldn't be much of a problem.

Examples of stuff i listen to:

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 42
I own the 940 and would describe it as very detailed, beautifully represented vocals (very forward) and you do not get a lot of bass but very tight bass.I really like them but some people consider them base light ,I dont feel like Im missing bass.I you need the extra bass the 840 has very similar  sound,lots of detail, forward vocals but more bass.Ive had both of these headphones and I do not think you would be disapointed with either,but from what you have described it sounds like the sound signature you are looking for leans towards the 840 and it is less expensive.Both have been flagship phones for shure.Shure is coming out with a new flagship headphone in the coming year (the 1840) with an open design but so far it sounds like it could be considerably more expensive than these two phones. It has been discuussed on the forum lately.I hope this helps you,good listening to you!

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 42
Thanks for the reply! I'm keeping my eye on the 1440/1840 thread in hopes that they come out mid-fi priced =P. So am i right to say that the SRH840s is basically SRH940s with more bass?

Anybody who has heard the HD598 and SRH940s care to give some thoughts?

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 42

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I'm keeping my eye on the 1440/1840 thread in hopes that they come out mid-fi priced =P. So am i right to say that the SRH840s is basically SRH940s with more bass?

yes the 840s are basically the 940s with more mid bass.One caveat though my own personal experience with the 840s were that they were a little more finicky about source material than the 940s (if the recording was done well they sounded like nothing you've heard before but if it is a bad recording it reveals that as well).Do you have a store that you can audition these cans?

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 42

Quote:

If you're getting these strictly for home use, I'd recommend the HD598. I think the HD598's and SRH940's both work wonderfully with female vocals and have many similarities, but if I had to pick one for home use I'd go with the HD598's. You say you're looking for more "intense" bass, which is another nod to the 598's. Both have a tight, controlled bass, but there is certainly more of it in the HD598. Also, the HD598 wins hands-down in terms of long-term comfort. This may not be as much of an issue if you don't have particularly big ears, but I can't wear the SRH940's for more than 2-3 hours at a time. I don't mean to take away from the SRH940's comfort, as the velour and oval-shaped pads are indeed quite comfortable, but after a while I have to switch back to the HD598's. That being said, the 940's have the versatility of being used on-the-go, as they're closed and not incredibly amp-dependent.

EDIT: and slightly off-topic: the first 33 seconds of the last video is a blatant copy of pirates of the caribbean >.>

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 42
Kalafina sounds great on my Q701s. Such great vocals. HUUUGE FAN of their music. Still haven't listened to the new album though. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 42
Bahahah. I'd still say Q701s for those vocals. :) But my experience with hifi gear is still limited.

And I understand you on Head-Fi causing addictions. I originally intended only to get some Grado SR 60i cans and be very very modest. Then ended up AKG Q701s instead. And now another pair or two so I have different options for different music.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
-obscenity- Ughs.... i feel it.... i'm going to end up with both HD598 AND Shure SRH940 before the end of this month...... 
mad.gif
 WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME HEAD-FI?!?!?!?!

Same except i will have the vmoda m80s and shure srh940 by the end of the month.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 42
Hmm? Isn't the M80s out of stock right now? I have an LP2 coming in for a friend of mine 
tongue_smile.gif
 told him about the M100s but he insisted. Well, enjoy your M80s, personally i have never managed to get a pair of on-ears to sit on my ears right before.... EVER. I look forward to pics of your rainbow faceplates in the M80 thread. 
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 42
Hi,

Im also a Kalafina fan. i personally using my AKG K702 to listen to kalafina songs. i really like using my k702 to listen to Kalafina. it brings kalafina's wonderfull vocal and harmony in very great detail.

U might also want to check this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549523/best-headphones-for-j-rock-j-pop-and-anisong

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 42

Quote:
Hi,

Im also a Kalafina fan. i personally using my AKG K702 to listen to kalafina songs. i really like using my k702 to listen to Kalafina. it brings kalafina's wonderfull vocal and harmony in very great detail.

U might also want to check this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549523/best-headphones-for-j-rock-j-pop-and-anisong

Agreed. The Q701 should be similar to, if not the same as, the K702. I think these headphones really shine with their triple (and formerly quad) vocal attack. And lets not to forget how great the often elaborate instrumentation sounds with the AKGs. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back