Is the sheer diversity of portable audio offering intimidating to anybody?
Sep 22, 2014 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
It's been many years since I've last been on here.  And when I started 10+ years ago, there weren't that many choices - especially in IEM space, which is my favorite.  

There were Shure and Etymotic as the major players, and then a few smaller guys here and there.

Now there are a hundreds of "legitimate" manufacturers at all price points and it's difficult to keep up with what's what.  I've read some of these IEM super-guides that are posted here.  Great work.

Anyway, my ATH CK-10 kicked the bucket recently.  They were my favorite after ER4-P were discontinued.  Those might be the long-time/all-time favorite... having purchased multiple pairs after having lost them in trains, planes, and wheverever else.  (And before that, ER6i were favorites at the entry price-point)

In between, I've gone through UE TF10 -- wayyyyy too huge to fit anyone but Shrek.  HiFiMan RE0 -- couldnt fathom at all what the rave was about.  Sennheiser IE7 -- which were too weak in seal and disappointing unlike its very nice IE8 brother in character.

Just need something in (1) smaller size for comfort, (2) non-fussy cord/plug, (3) balanced in character, (3b) but maybe slightly warm- and high-biased, (4) good in seal.... oh, and (5) driven unamped by iPhone.

Instead of sampling with unproven new brands and products, and fussying over the variety of choices, maybe its just safest to get the ER-4PT as replacement?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back