Is the Sennheiser HDVA 600 the best amp for the HD800 for 800 dollars?
Jun 1, 2018 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

VocaloidDude

500+ Head-Fier
I went ahead and ordered this amp because it was half off and it's supposed to pair well with the HD800. I've wanted a nice amp for a while. If you think I could do better or think this amp just isn't worth it, please let me know. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 18
I went ahead and ordered this amp because it was half off and it's supposed to pair well with the HD800. I've wanted a nice amp for a while. If you think I could do better or think this amp just isn't worth it, please let me know. Thanks.
Just curious, how did you like the amp?

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 18
Even HDVD800 is not that ideal. As I concerned, power output limits their performance.
With $800 there`ll be many alternatives including Bryston BHA-1 or V281 or Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Auralic Taurus. They are all high power amps driving sufficiently compared with HDVA/HDVD.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 18
Just curious, how did you like the amp?
It's fantastic. It sits beautiful in the cubby hole of my desk, my HD800s sounds very much alive with them. I don't have any other amps at this range to compare them to but I am very happy with them.

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 18
It's fantastic. It sits beautiful in the cubby hole of my desk, my HD800s sounds very much alive with them. I don't have any other amps at this range to compare them to but I am very happy with them.
Good to hear and you should be happy with it :.)

It is a great amp for the HD800. May be not the best, or best value for money, but a great amp neverteless. Based on some discussions here on the forum, I bought the Auralic Taurus mk2 amp and additioned the Violectric 281 with my HD800. And yes, I must agree, both are "better" but don't expect a "zero to hero" difference.

In fact, the funny thing is... The HDVA600 is smooth (if not overly) and compared to the Taurus it misses some slam and bite. Still, I can't let go of my HDVA600. Sometimes I want to hear that smooth sound and that kinda sucks because I can use the money :.)

* everything above is a personal opinion and must be read as such.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 18
For 400 dollars you can get a Schiit Jotunheim that can drive anything out of its balanced output.
People always tell me about this amp but I don't use a balance cord.
Good to hear and you should be happy with it :.)

It is a great amp for the HD800. May be not the best, or best value for money, but a great amp neverteless. Based on some discussions here on the forum, I bought the Auralic Taurus mk2 amp and additioned the Violectric 281 with my HD800. And yes, I must agree, both are "better" but don't expect a "zero to hero" difference.

In fact, the funny thing is... The HDVA600 is smooth (if not overly) and compared to the Taurus it misses some slam and bite. Still, I can't let go of my HDVA600. Sometimes I want to hear that smooth sound and that kinda sucks because I can use the money :.)

* everything above is a personal opinion and must be read as such.
You might think it's a good value if I told you I got the HDVA600 for 600 bucks. People always talk about all these different amps, I don't have space, I have one little cubby hole to put a headphone amp. I also don't have money, and I need to find bargains so I can get a good amp and headphones when I can. I got my HD800 for 750 bucks.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 18
People always tell me about this amp but I don't use a balance cord.

You might think it's a good value if I told you I got the HDVA600 for 600 bucks. People always talk about all these different amps, I don't have space, I have one little cubby hole to put a headphone amp. I also don't have money, and I need to find bargains so I can get a good amp and headphones when I can. I got my HD800 for 750 bucks.
I stand corrected, for that money it is great value :guardsman:.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 18

I have both, a HDVA600 and a HD800 and it pairs fabulously! I'd say you did well and among the amps I have or have heard in this price range (used below 800$) there's not much I can recommend that has better synergy.

Even HDVD800 is not that ideal. As I concerned, power output limits their performance.
With $800 there`ll be many alternatives including Bryston BHA-1 or V281 or Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Auralic Taurus. They are all high power amps driving sufficiently compared with HDVA/HDVD.

I happen to own the Auralic Taurus Mk2, the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and the HDVA600 among other amps, and the HDVA600 has (to my ears at least) definitely the best synergy with the HD800 among these three. While the Mjolnir 2 is still "ok" the Taurus is downright the wrong amp for the HD800 if you ask me, just as wrong as a Jotunheim. Bright and bright doesn't go very well together imo.
The Taurus being on the bright side is much better served with Auzeze cans for example ...
Have you actually heard these amps or did you just suggest them out of the blue if I may ask?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 18
I happen to own the Auralic Taurus Mk2, the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and the HDVA600 among other amps, and the HDVA600 has (to my ears at least) definitely the best synergy with the HD800 among these three. While the Mjolnir 2 is still "ok" the Taurus is downright the wrong amp for the HD800 if you ask me, just as wrong as a Jotunheim. Bright and bright doesn't go very well together imo.
The Taurus being on the bright side is much better served with Auzeze cans for example ...
Have you actually heard these amps or did you just suggest them out of the blue if I may ask?
Then it's a good thing I don't have your ears. Although I do love my HDVA600, if I had too pick one for my only headphone (HD800 unmodified) it would be the Taurus. Tried the SDR mod but when I expect to eat apple I don't want applesauce. Just in real life, I hate applesauce :smile:.

Of course this is all just a personal opinion of one man ... YMMV, and if you like applesauce, good for you :clap:.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 18
What DACs have you all paired with the HDVA 600 amp? Right now I amd just going direct from computer with a 3.5mm audio jack to RCA straight into the HDVA 600 + HD800 headphones.

Any suggestions on a good DAC to improve my chain? I was considering Chord Qutest, although it is not balanced.

Any thoughts on DAC pairings would be great as I am looking but can't seem to find much on the topic.

Cheers,

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 18
What DACs have you all paired with the HDVA 600 amp? Right now I amd just going direct from computer with a 3.5mm audio jack to RCA straight into the HDVA 600 + HD800 headphones.

Any suggestions on a good DAC to improve my chain? I was considering Chord Qutest, although it is not balanced.

Any thoughts on DAC pairings would be great as I am looking but can't seem to find much on the topic.

Cheers,
Modi 3. I saw a video on youtube debunking audiophile myths, saying that the human ear can only hear so much difference, so you shouldn't spend money on more expensive DACs. Also, hearing all the details in 24 bit rate music would actually kill you instantly if you wanted to hear every detail in it, because the details are so quiet and small that it would require massive amplification for them to be audible.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 18
I saw a video on youtube debunking audiophile myths, saying that the human ear can only hear so much difference, so you shouldn't spend money on more expensive DACs.
I saw a video on YouTube debunking the Earth is a ball, saying that water can't curve thus the Earth is flat, so you shouldn't believe otherwise:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing:

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #14 of 18
I saw a video on YouTube debunking the Earth is a ball, saying that water can't curve thus the Earth is flat, so you shouldn't believe otherwise:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing:
That's a silly little anecdote. Do you think you can prove that dacs make an empirical difference using evidence? Didn't think so. Whenever audiophiles talk about stuff it's always their own perception which is immeasurable and possible placebo. That is the one truly disturbing (not as in disturbing when you're high and feel like you're about to get stabbed or something) thing about audiophilia. We've convinced ourselves that it's totally cool to spend money however we want under the impression, or illusion, that it could elevate our musical enjoyment and the clarity of audio. Maybe for some money truly is no object, but for others money is a thing they save up, it's a thing they pour their life into so they can dish out that time they spent, like money on an item, an item which they can spend time on. Money is like life, and we pour ourselves into it, we give it out, like our souls, and some people even hoard it all while others pour more and more of their soul into it, as though the rich ones had so much soul that their lives were flowing like blood through the financial system. Do you truly appreciate music? I appreciate music. But what is money, and what is an objective measurement? Don't bug me about that stuff man, I'm just trying to buy something with my cash. You know what I'm saying?

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 18
Gee, don't take it so serious. My point is don't believe anything based on one single youtube video, or one Wikipedia page for that matter. And... I thought it was funny but you didn't get both .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back