Is the Senn HD650 any musical?
Jun 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HariBhushan

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a smooth all rounder headphoner that will work with every music category i through at it. I like listening to all songs, but mostly trance, hip hop, pop, rock.

and i would like something smooth, musical and involving without being too bloated in the bass areas. I have read that the 650 are only for classical and not too dynamic, but what are your guys thoughts?

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 20
let me jump on the bandwagon! x4 
biggrin.gif

I'm listening to Guru's JazzMatazz album as typing this post, it sounds sexy through the HD650 
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 20
HD 650s are my choice for all music......I do like the sound of the HD800s!  At a meet I got to listen to the 701s(nice sounding) and some other Hd. phones. I just perfer the Senns. for the money.  A good amp also helps them shine!!.......

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 20
The old 600 is supposed to be less veiled and a little dryer than the old 650, while still retaining the darkish senn signature; is it still true with the new drivers?

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 20
Musical is the label that sets off alarm bells inside my head - it's the first hint of an over-hyped piece of equipment. Smooth and involving maybe, but musical is just too slippery to get a handle on. That said, that doesn't apply to the HD650's, from what I've heard of it before it seems a fine headphone.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 20
I believe there are better phones for trance and hip hop than the HD650.  Though the HD650 may still be what you are after as they sound very "musical" to me.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Do you have a proper amp to drive them? And what exactly do you mean by music? The word musical doesn't really give me any info on your preferred sound signature. All headphones are somewhat musical since they produce music right? 

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Do you have a proper amp to drive them? And what exactly do you mean by music? The word musical doesn't really give me any info on your preferred sound signature. All headphones are somewhat musical since they produce music right? 

my thoughts exactly.  I also don't agree with the term "musical",or "fun".  fun should be what that sounds good to you.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 20
The HD 650, in comparison to other headphones I own now or have owned, is probably what I would consider to be the best all 'rounder I've encountered so far. I have yet to come across a track in my library that they've not done well with, and where they really stand out from certain other headphones (Grado SR-225, AKG K 701, beyerdynamic DT 880) is in the level of detail and treble extension. To my ears, the HD 650 always manages to sound good, but at the cost of the brutal, cold clarity of some (especially badly recorded/mastered) material.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 20
I actually have the Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990(both 600ohm) with a Woo Audio 3 amp and i really love both, but the 880's seemed to be lacking the musically engaging/bass department. And while the 990's are extremely fun with deep impactful bass, i feel like the bass quantity is too much for my liking.

I also think the treble on the beyers is just too much. The spikes and brightness is a tad too much for me, so i want an open headphone that's really smooth, airy(like the beyers) have the awesome detail of the 880's and feet tapping bass(like the DenonD2000/DT990) that just goes with the flow without being too over-emphasized.

+ I want something that I don't have to equalize for it to sound great. Cause believe me, the beyers do need quite a bit of equalizing to sound amazing, but I'm not really good at equalizing so i want something flat from the get-go. 

what I'm worried about is how well can the 650 do all of this? Cause some threads say the 650 is bass light and some say it's bass heavy. so I just don't know who to believe.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 20
It sounds to me like the HD 650 would be a pretty good choice for what you're looking for. Unlike the DT 880, the HD 650 doesn't rub bad recordings or spiky treble in your face. The bass is about right for my liking. They seem, to my ears, to have more mid-bass than a Grado SR 225, but slightly less deep bass. The only reservation I'd really have about them is that you seem to be after the detail of your DT 880... in my opinion the HD 650 won't give you the analytical detail of the beyers, so if that's something you really love about the DT 880, you might find that the Sennheisers' silky smoothness isn't to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back