Is the Search Dysfunctional?
Dec 28, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 21
What headphones should I get?

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i still dont get why we dont have a most recommended headphones under $X thread

Yea, i posted a similar idea some time ago under general discussion, and the idea of "Head-fi.com Approved" headphones and accessories got condemned upon. But yea, a thread/poll like that would be useful. Unfortunately, i do not know enough amount of headphones to actually start one.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 21
Dec 28, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure this suggestion will be shot down, but somebody just decided to correct this problem (see link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215926) and I just happened to chip in...contribute!

thanks, i just did!

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 21
I like pie.

And the point of me liking pie is that this very thread will rear it's ugly head on every single forum about once every month or two. The end result of all of those threads is that the forum is meant for these kinds of questions to be asked, otherwise there is no point in having the forum to begin with. It will be bandied about that the makers of the threads in question and the ones who agree with the thread maker were new too at one time and probably asked the very same questions and usually got honest answers.

My theory is that once you start getting tired of seeing the same threads over and over, then that is the time to take a break from the forum and go do something else for a while (or choose not to answer in those threads) because it is not that the forum has changed even in the tiniest measure, but you, the thread maker, who has changed because you have been here too long/often.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another solution to this problem is to give posters who have put in some time on the forum a DIFFERENT forum to post in that newbies do not have access to. One that will be blessedly free of questions that have been answered time and time again.
smily_headphones1.gif
This was done on one of the Cigar forums I visit and it worked out well until the forum owner made a boo-boo and accidentally made the forum public to everyone right when a lot of the older members were going on tirades about the "quality" of the new members and how they did not "respect" the old-timers (yes it was a bit of an elitist rant and the forums lost a lot of good members and was hurt because of it).

Stickies rarely work though. Most people just end up using the stickies as an excuse to yell at new members to go read the stickies, and eventually the forum is reduced to 80% flames because the old members are always flaming the new members for not using the search function first.

So that's why "I Like Pie" because in the end, me writing that phrase in a thread like this is probably the most valid response that can be made, and will serve the exact same purpose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 21
Prior to being a member here, I could not find the Search button. Why? Cause it's not avail to non-members.

I suspect some people become members to ask their question. They've already looked for Search and not found it, so they don't look again.

Maybe if Search existed for non-members and went to a screen saying 'for members only'. Note I said Maybe.

Steve

BTW, I became a member just to enter this comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back