Is the Schiit Ragnarok an overkill?
Jun 25, 2016 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gamergtx260

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Guys, 

I want to buy an amp with balanced output. I was looking on the schitt stack and I liked the way it looks and performs. I can afford the Schiit Mjolnir2 right now but if the ragnarok is worth the price then I will wait and save up for it. My primary usage will only be headphones (HD800 and LCD XC) and I wont ever use them to connect to speakers. So, Is the ragy an overkill? I can get the Mjolnir/Gungnir for almost the same price as the ragy. Will the Mjolnir2/Gungnir good enough for my setup?

Thanks much

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Bryston BHA-1 seems to be a very good match for HD800

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you. I will read about it. But how about the ragnarok? Do I really need it or will I be happy with the Mjolnir2? I can't really listen to them before I buy.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 7
  Thank you. I will read about it. But how about the ragnarok? Do I really need it or will I be happy with the Mjolnir2? I can't really listen to them before I buy.

The thing is HD800 is clearly on the bright / analytical side of things, the Rag should sound very well with HD800 but a relatively warm sounding DAC might be a good partner for the Rag in this case. You should read about the Gungnir MB.

Yggy/Rag although very resolving might result in a sound that's too detail happy for Stock HD800. Preferences are key at this point anyway.
It's very risky to buy things blindly at this point since everything sounds very well, and you could find that you prefer the cheaper stuff.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 7
It's very risky to buy things blindly at this point since everything sounds very well, and you could find that you prefer the cheaper stuff.

^^ Rightly said. Thank you :)

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 7
This review might convince you to buy the Ragnarok in an instant

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740568/top-shelf-solid-state-with-hd800s

It will also power your LCD XC very well. And if you do get an Yggy and you don't like it, I am willing to exchange my Audio-gd DAC-19 with it. 
biggrin.gif

If you selected Gumby/Mjolnir 2, you will always wonder about the Yggy/Rok combo. So for your peace of mind, get the Yggy/Rok. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 7
Ok, Now I'm confused

OR 

If you selected Gumby/Mjolnir 2, you will always wonder about the Yggy/Rok combo. So for your peace of mind, get the Yggy/Rok. 

Damn you headfi :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back