Is the S4 much better than the se115?
Feb 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zGenesis

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying a new pair of iems. I currently own the Shure se115 and I am wondering if the Klipsch S4 is a huge improvement over my current phones. Is it in a different league in terms of SQ or just a minor improvement?

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Having not heard the 115 but from reviews I'd say the S4 is probably better (as shure isn't known for their dynamic IEMs) but not worth the money to jump. The RE0 would be a much better choice unless you need lots of bass or isolation (then you should just keep the shures).

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 7
Some reviews rave about how the S4s have sound quality equal to IEMs three times it's price while the se115 is not even worth it's price. Based on that alone, I would think the S4 offered a big jump in quality from the Shures. However, I actually own the se115 and I've heard the S4 from a friend. I don't think the se115 is as bad as the reviews state (just my opinion though)
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 7
take this noobs comments as you choose. i own the S4, RE0 and PL30, and id take the PLs over the s4s any day any hour. never heard any shures b4. ive burned the hell out of the s4s and they just dont really sound that good to my ears, i wish there was a less abrasive word then muddy, the driver is just so damn slow the clarity and separation are not up to par for my ears. note im an anti bass head, love boomin bass in home and car audio but not in my ear canals, im one of those who find the RE0 bass to be an awesome quality:quantity ratio to my ears.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdaigle240 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
take this noobs comments as you choose. i own the S4, RE0 and PL30, and id take the PLs over the s4s any day any hour. never heard any shures b4. ive burned the hell out of the s4s and they just dont really sound that good to my ears, i wish there was a less abrasive word then muddy, the driver is just so damn slow the clarity and separation are not up to par for my ears. note im an anti bass head, love boomin bass in home and car audio but not in my ear canals, im one of those who find the RE0 bass to be an awesome quality:quantity ratio to my ears.

Thanks, I'll have to check out the PL30 and RE0. The price of the PL30 is $30. Are you saying they are good for the low price or that they are actually better than $100+ iems?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratobeats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually own the se115 and I've heard the S4 from a friend. I don't think the se115 is as bad as the reviews state (just my opinion though)
wink.gif

Do you mean the se115 is not bad or that you prefer it over the S4?

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 7
nope, i was saying, for the dollar, and to my ears. if you have a bestbuy, you cant "try" the S4. they have a nice policy, if you dont like the product, with in 30 days you can return it. have you read jokers 46 iem shoot out, it should give you some relative ideas, but your style is your style.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 7
The problem with the S4 is they are unbalanced. The lows are just out of whack with the rest of the sound spectrum. RE0 has excellent clarity but the lack of bass just makes them sound sterile to me. PL30 has reasonably good balance but the clarity is just not there -- they sound like cheap earphones that aren't too bad for their cheap price. As you can see, I've had problems being satisfied with sub-$100 IEMs. The Klipsch X5, which I got for $150, is where I found a good balance of clarity, bass response, and general balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back