Is the RE0 better than the RE2?
Mar 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
i have the re2 and love its sound. but i would like a bit more sparkly high end and maybe a tad more bass. will the re0 satisfy my needs?

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 9
Well you'll definitely get that sparkly high end. Not so sure about the bass, but you can squeeze a bit more out with an EQ.

To answer your thread title, I sure hope they are, otherwise I wasted like $40 buying mine.
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Hrmm, while I never heard the RE2, but I've read reviews about the RE2, the RE0 will do a better job in clarity, balance, and detail, not to mention isolation since they have a closed back.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 9
hell yeah, I never understood the fuzz about the RE2, what I remember was a super microphonic and tangy cord and just really boring sound. RE0 wowed me when I got it.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hell yeah, I never understood the fuzz about the RE2, what I remember was a super microphonic and tangy cord and just really boring sound. RE0 wowed me when I got it.

++ RE0 is the frst Head-Direct/Hifiman IEM that I actually like. The RE2 and RE1s were pretty bad to my ears, because of flat, boring sound with low detail resolution and recessed treble on RE1 and recessed bass on RE2. The cables were also horrible - hard/inflexible and very microphonic. RE0 is a big step up from both in build quality, ergonomics and sound IMO. It is closed back, so the isolation is better, the cable is much softer and much more flexible (although still microphonic), the earphone body is now metal instead of plastic and finally the sound is vastly superior with gobbles more detial, superior tonal balance, and much better treble extension. Compared to RE2, the bass on RE0 is also quite a bit better extended into the sub bass and is more controlled. RE1 has a bit more sub bass than the RE0, but not much more and RE0 has much better detail in the low end, and much better treble.

So in the end, yes I think it's totally worth it to get RE0 if you like RE2 - chances are, you will be blown away, especially if you got an amp.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
++ RE0 is the frst Head-Direct/Hifiman IEM that I actually like. The RE2 and RE1s were pretty bad to my ears, because of flat, boring sound with low detail resolution and recessed treble on RE1 and recessed bass on RE2. The cables were also horrible - hard/inflexible and very microphonic. RE0 is a big step up from both in build quality, ergonomics and sound IMO. It is closed back, so the isolation is better, the cable is much softer and much more flexible (although still microphonic), the earphone body is now metal instead of plastic and finally the sound is vastly superior with gobbles more detial, superior tonal balance, and much better treble extension. Compared to RE2, the bass on RE0 is also quite a bit better extended into the sub bass and is more controlled. RE1 has a bit more sub bass than the RE0, but not much more and RE0 has much better detail in the low end, and much better treble.

So in the end, yes I think it's totally worth it to get RE0 if you like RE2 - chances are, you will be blown away, especially if you got an amp.

how would you compare the ortofon eq7 with the re0? is re0 as bright as the ortofon? i like the re2 because of its more laid back nature as compared to the eq7 for times when i'm not looking for something that demands me to concentrate on the music but yet sounds reasonably detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back