Is the PSP a good source?
Jun 9, 2008 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DrGamut

New Head-Fier
How does its DAC rate among popular players? I have a PSP and a 16GB memory stick for it. Although I haven't been using it for music much, I do have a homebrew application on it that can play OGG/AC3/FLAC in addition to MP3.

I switched to overnight shift at work, so I'll be able to listen to music on the job with far less people bothering me. I'm wondering if I should just stick with my PSP or look for something better.

Thanks.

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 11
I personally think the psp is a great source but others would say different. It's downfalls are memory capacity and battery life. The psp's output volume is a bit on the low side, but a portable amp fixes that problem, it has great SQ and the EQ isn't that bad either ( I like the "Unique" preset)

So I would say it's personal preference, sound quality wise it's not bad at all.

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 11
I use a PSP for around my house. Not much in eq settings but to be honest, its on par with my ipod touch thats always docked in my car. Volume can be a bit low if you don't have efficient phones. I still use sonic stage to transfer my mp3, mp4, and wm files to artrac. It's a shame really, sony finally gets sonic stage right on the last attempt. Artrac is really a good codec, sounds better to me than mp3 or wm. The PSP does have it's pluses, I have location free tv on it, so i can watch my directtv anywhere the is wifi access. I actually never use it for gaming, but it does make a great PMP. This coming from a guy thats a dedicated Mac user for years. In fact its probably why I still have a Windows T60 laptop, to load my PSP with.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's downfalls are memory capacity and battery life. The psp's output volume is a bit on the low side

I don't have those problems! 16GB memory stick, stamina battery, and IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 11
I didn't even realize they made 16gb pro duos, that must be pretty recent. Still, some music players can run for like 25+ hours. And like you said, IEMs, try using hd555 with it, tis terrible. Glad it works for you, does the job fer me as well.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 11
lmao really?

In that case thats the ONE device to replace everything

im working on putting custom fw on mine to open it up, noticed u can get a mic, camera, gps receiver etc etc for it along with its music, pic viewer, movie watching, game playing, its absolutely astounding what it is capable of, and to think this thing came out 4 years ago.

Incredible

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even realize they made 16gb pro duos, that must be pretty recent. Still, some music players can run for like 25+ hours. And like you said, IEMs, try using hd555 with it, tis terrible. Glad it works for you, does the job fer me as well.

um I don't know how long the battery can last but I heard someone can get like 17 hrs out of the psp on video by lowering the clock speed with custom firmware, and there is a nice low cpu/fsb speed in custom firmware that is too low for even video on the psp and probably meant for audio. I can only imagine how long a good battery would last on that setting with the psp

Jun 10, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 11
yea, but it's very inconvenient. The whole xmb slows down and it takes longer to change songs and pause/play. Any lower than 222/111 the xmb gets unstable. It's whatever though. I have 3, 1x1800mAh and 2x2200mAh batteries. All charged up, I'd say I'm good for about 20 hours, even more if I turn off the screen while listening (put on hold + psp remote = great combo.)

I also have custom firmware (3.52 m33-4) I love all the homebrew apps, custom themes, etc.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by orl2222 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a PSP for around my house. Not much in eq settings but to be honest, its on par with my ipod touch thats always docked in my car. Volume can be a bit low if you don't have efficient phones. I still use sonic stage to transfer my mp3, mp4, and wm files to artrac. It's a shame really, sony finally gets sonic stage right on the last attempt. Artrac is really a good codec, sounds better to me than mp3 or wm. The PSP does have it's pluses, I have location free tv on it, so i can watch my directtv anywhere the is wifi access. I actually never use it for gaming, but it does make a great PMP. This coming from a guy thats a dedicated Mac user for years. In fact its probably why I still have a Windows T60 laptop, to load my PSP with.

wow I didnt even know it could do all of that, I was already jealous enough of all the little kids that would play games while on the airplane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back