Is the price of the T1 justified?
Nov 26, 2016 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

retskrad

100+ Head-Fier
When listening to the first generation T1 and comparing it to the DT880/990 for a couple of days I made the mistake of looking at the price and judging the headphone that way.

I did not hear any new details comparing the DT880 and T1. The T1 IMO should replace the current DT880 because they are so similar, but that won't happen of course. I feel it's a side grade to be honest.

Comparing the T1 to the DT990, they had the same amount of details, but tuned differently. The mids were more focused on the T1, but the bass was less punchy and the highs less sparkly.

I'm really astonished. What's the reason for the 10x price increase over the old flagship lineup?

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 20
Maybe it's your amp. I've had both the DT990 and the T1.2 (and T1.1 drivers). While I enjoy the DT990 when it's properly EQ'd, both versions of the T1 are in another league. The T1 is way above the DT990 it in details, soundstage, transparency, etc. 600 ohms can be a lot to drive for some amps.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 20
I forgot to mention that I'm using the WA2 amp.

Maybe it's your amp. I've had both the DT990 and the T1.2 (and T1.1 drivers). While I enjoy the DT990 when it's properly EQ'd, both versions of the T1 are in another league. The T1 is way above the DT990 it in details, soundstage, transparency, etc. 600 ohms can be a lot to drive for some amps.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 20
I forgot to mention that I'm using the WA2 amp.

Well, I don't know much about that amp, but I have two cheap solid state amps with roughly the same power output. They both sound great with low impedence headphones. But only one sounds great with the T1 - the other sounds muddy and dull. I have no idea why, but it seems to me the T1 can be fairly amp dependent.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 20
I moved from the DT880 to the T1 and agree to a point. The price difference certainly wasn't apparent in the increase in detail and sound quality. Diminishing returns yadda  yadda and all that I suppose.

I did really enjoy the added warmth and bump in detail the T1 brought however. I also found the space in which the music was presented to be far greater and more realistic than the 880. Had I not bought my T1's used for a great price, I would have been disappointed with the purchase over the 880.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 20
Personal preferences are far more important than price at this point.
Tesla T1 does some things DT880 doesn't, it's also a tad more luxurious and that's all.

If price matters then there's no reason to go over 400usd headphones.
If you have the money and can't find something better to do with it, and happen to enjoy a pricey headphone then why not?

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 20
  I moved from the DT880 to the T1 and agree to a point. The price difference certainly wasn't apparent in the increase in detail and sound quality. Diminishing returns yadda  yadda and all that I suppose.

I did really enjoy the added warmth and bump in detail the T1 brought however. I also found the space in which the music was presented to be far greater and more realistic than the 880. Had I not bought my T1's used for a great price, I would have been disappointed with the purchase over the 880.

I\m finding myself overly analytical with beyers when listening to music unlike when on bass cans. If they are not that much better than 880, one mighteswell go with a different flavor flagship (which would be different and "NEW")

the 880s i really cant find much fault unlike their brothers that can be little more on fun side with recessed mids.

From what I gather the main point with t1 is the "3d" type soundstage which is more apparent than its 880 brother. I dont buy that completely as when i play 3d music files i feel the sound floating all over with 880. T1 maybe is just better.

Anyway I have not heard the top dog Beyer. It is my goal anyway for a flagship, as the beyer sig works with me.

But I will listen to it b4 i ever buy it for sure, and if its not noticeably better, rather scoop up a th900/z1r or if beyer comes with something else in a year or two

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 20
The DT880 has one flaw and thats the weak bass proportional to the treble, other than that Its quite nice and clean. IMO its better suited for studio use, not so recreationally.

Maybe the TI is more for audiophiles and the DT880 for studio use because of different tuning?

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 20
Why does anyone drop $1k or more on a pair of headphones? You get diminishing returns the higher you go. That said, I think I may actually prefer the T1 to the HD800 that seems to have no problem at the $1k mark. The HD800 has a fabulous soundstage that everyone notices, but I don't remember the tone being as natural sounding as the T1. I remember bland and dry, although it could have been the amp. Maybe the HD800S has a better tone, but it's even more costly. Of course, that same tone can be found in the DT880/990, but not with the detail and soundstage, and imaging of the T1. So if you dig the Beyer tone, the T1 may be worth it.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 20
Another way to look at it:  These headphones are not too expensive. You're just not making enough money :wink:

To the original poster: Are you sure that your T1's are broken in? Beyers take a while to break in and sound bad at first. I wouldn't even start judging them until 72 hours.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 20
As in more resolution, better detail.
Exactly, I've owned the t1 twice. Imo it's the best headphone beyerdynamic has to offer. I purchased the hd800 shortly after & felt it was the better performer. I do still own the 880 and do pull it out now & then. I agree if it had a bit more in the low end it would be fantastic. But the t1 is clearly a better headphone. Worth the price? That's a matter of personal opinion. I don't put a price tag on any phone, if I'm interested in a phone and think I'll enjoy it I'm buying it.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 20
How would you say the DT880 and HD800 compare if you had no idea about the price tag of each respective headphone and simply judged them on the sound?

Exactly, I've owned the t1 twice. Imo it's the best headphone beyerdynamic has to offer. I purchased the hd800 shortly after & felt it was the better performer. I do still own the 880 and do pull it out now & then. I agree if it had a bit more in the low end it would be fantastic. But the t1 is clearly a better headphone. Worth the price? That's a matter of personal opinion. I don't put a price tag on any phone, if I'm interested in a phone and think I'll enjoy it I'm buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back