Is the Peachtree Audio Nova, with onboard ESS 9006 Sabre DAC, a giant-killer?
Jun 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dickbianchi

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard this product? It's gathered a couple of good reviews, one in Six Moons 6moons audio reviews: Peachtree Audio Nova

Has an 80 watt amp, a tube headphone amp, tube preamp, dac (these can be used by themselves). Also space for a Sonos to be integrated if you wish.

I have been interested in the Sabre Dac Chip. Have not been able to hear it but have heard nothing negative and lots positive. Used in Buffalo Dac, new Headroom Dac.

Info at Signal Path International - Era Speakers & Peachtree Audio - Introducing Nova

Would like any impressions.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 5
ESS has even better chips out there (9008, 9012, 9018) than used in the Peachtree.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution like that, it seems like a great unit. But if you want to max out the quality, I'd consider a separate DAC with a better chip.

Just my opinion, and major caveat of never hearing the Nova. But I have heard a 9008-based Buffalo DAC briefly (great stuff) and the Peachtree Decco.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 5
The Peachtree Nova is an integrated stereo amp with a built-in multiple digital input DAC and a headphone amp. For the price, it seems like a good one box solution if you have multiple digital and/or analogue sources (CD/DVD player, computer, digital cable box, tuner...) and you want to drive a pair of speakers and be able to listen to headphones. It is a unique product, as far as I am aware.

But with that in mind, I would not buy one if I was just planning to listen to headphones (since the power amp capabilities of the Nova would be wasted) and had only one digital or analogue source (since the preamp capability of the Nova would be wasted.) If you are using a decent CD player, its DAC will probably sound as good as the Nova's DAC, so why not just get a dedicated headphone amp. If you need a DAC but not one with multiple inputs, it would still be less expensive to buy a NOS DAC from Valab, Keces or even MHDT and also buy a decent dedicated headphone amp.

I did listen to the Peachtree Nova briefly at a New York audio store. I listened through speakers, not headphones, and thought it sounded good but not amazing. The salesman commented that it seemed to put out less power than its 80 watt rating would suggest. He also said that Peachtree products have had some reliability issues in the past, with more than the usual number of customers coming back to have their Peachtree Deccos repaired. (The Decco was released by Peachtree a few years ago, prior to the Nova.) A web search on the Decco will confirm that quality control may be an issue to consider.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 5
someone is very happy with it. I am curious if anyone has compared it to the buffalo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back