Is the Oppo PM3 worth buying if I already own the Bang & Olufsen H6?
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have the H6 2nd Gen and I like them a lot. I got them as I needed a closed back headphone that was easy enough to carry around and not too big. Among many recommendations I received I felt they would be the best fit for me, as they were praised for their neutral sound, airy treble and soundstage. However, another headphone on my list was the PM3, but passed on it both because it was more expensive, Oppo was going out of business and some saying it wasn’t much better than the H6. Now as I read more about them, a lot of people refer to them as one of the best closed backs and even “end-game”.

While I already own and like the H6, I’m still curious about the PM3. Would it be worth it to buy a used PM3 if I already have the H6? I would only keep one headphone if I ultimately decided to buy the PM3. I got the H6 new for $250. Anyway, just interested in hearing some opinions :)

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 22
For the sake of variety, yes. But if you plan to only keep one, no. If I were forced to keep only one closed back can, the H6 would be on my short list, the PM3 would not. What we like and prefer differs, but imo, the H6 is a great all rounder.

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 22
For the sake of variety, yes. But if you plan to only keep one, no. If I were forced to keep only one closed back can, the H6 would be on my short list, the PM3 would not. What we like and prefer differs, but imo, the H6 is a great all rounder.
Thanks! I like the H6 a lot too. Another thing that made me a little wary of the PM3 was the “lack of treble extension” and congested sound. It’s just too bad the H6 isn’t a little more popular, and it seems B&O has already discontinued it :frowning2: Luckily I was able to find a lot of favorable posts about it on here and Reddit, otherwise I would have missed out on a real gem.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 22
I think the PM3 is a bit lifeless just too warm for me. It’s a nice and comfy headphone and if you have problems with highs it could be fine but Oppo is getting out of the headphone game so for that I would not recommend it.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 22
You can get replacement parts for an H6, even though they are discontinued. Have fun getting spare parts from a company exiting the whole product line.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 22
I think you definitely should get the PM-3s. Definitely worth having both.

On a completely unrelated note, want to buy my pair of PM-3s? :beyersmile:
Duh.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 22
Well, another thing I've been considering is buying an HD650. A headphone to relax with at home at the end of the day. It's a headphone I've always wanted to hear for myself and if it were closed back and worked with my situations of mostly using headphones at work and without an amp, it would have been my first choice. Something closer to reference, an open back, one of which I've never owned, and I would get to purchase my first amp :) (probably the Magni 3).

@CaptCanuck aside from the softer treble and smaller soundstage of the PM-3, what other differences are there between the H6 and PM3 since you own both? I read the bass is not as strong but is tighter, and the mids are more balanced across the spectrum. Would you say the PM3 sounds more natural? My only real gripe with the H6 is that I sometimes feel they sound a bit artificial. Nothing terrible though, it's more noticeable out of my phone than my laptop.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 22
The 650 is definitely going to need a amp.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 22
The 650 is definitely going to need a amp.
I'm ok with that. That's also why they would stay at home. I'm going to wait for another HD6XX Massdrop and the Magni 3 is only $99 and I'm told is efficient enough. I think that would make a good starter home setup to go along with my portable pair.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 22
You're aware that Oppo Digital is no longer in business, right? That means it's only available used or for a fairly ridiculous markup.

That said, I think they're a decent headphone, but I don't find them to be worth the hype they seem to enjoy. I know a lot of people go on and on about the mids, but I find them to be a bit recessed and cold. And then there is the bass and treble: bass seems entirely seal-dependent, has moderate roll-off in the sub-bass, but is otherwise linear and full assuming a good seal; the treble is quite soft. Soundstage is pretty good if they have a decent amp; straight out of a phone they sound a bit congested.
Anyway, despite all of this, I do like them with a bit of EQ applied.

HD 650 is a headphone I enjoy a lot. I honestly find the sound to be more balanced than the PM-3, but I'd hardly call it neutral or "reference." I guess my one hesitation with the HD 650 is that its sound is divisive-- some people love it, some hate it. If you're looking for something with a "reference" signature (I realize this might mean different things to you and me), you might be disappointed-- they can definitely sound a bit thick and veiled if you're coming from or expecting something more neutral and detailed. If you're looking for something you can relax with, it might really suit your needs-- the same attributes that make it thick and veiled also make it warm, musical, and inviting.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 22
You're aware that Oppo Digital is no longer in business, right? That means it's only available used or for a fairly ridiculous markup.

That said, I think they're a decent headphone, but I don't find them to be worth the hype they seem to enjoy. I know a lot of people go on and on about the mids, but I find them to be a bit recessed and cold. And then there is the bass and treble: bass seems entirely seal-dependent, has moderate roll-off in the sub-bass, but is otherwise linear and full assuming a good seal; the treble is quite soft. Soundstage is pretty good if they have a decent amp; straight out of a phone they sound a bit congested.
Anyway, despite all of this, I do like them with a bit of EQ applied.

HD 650 is a headphone I enjoy a lot. I honestly find the sound to be more balanced than the PM-3, but I'd hardly call it neutral or "reference." I guess my one hesitation with the HD 650 is that its sound is divisive-- some people love it, some hate it. If you're looking for something with a "reference" signature (I realize this might mean different things to you and me), you might be disappointed-- they can definitely sound a bit thick and veiled if you're coming from or expecting something more neutral and detailed. If you're looking for something you can relax with, it might really suit your needs-- the same attributes that make it thick and veiled also make it warm, musical, and inviting.
Thanks for your input. I have seen some pretty decent used prices but then the mention of it being difficult to find replacement parts could be an issue, and your (and others) description of the sound wanes me off a bit. I know a lot of people love it while others don’t. That being said, it might be best to get a 650. The 600 is considered the neutral one in the lineup so I always imagined the 650 has many of the same attributes but warmer which I think I prefer, and they’re cheaper (the HD6XX). It seems like it’s an opposite of the H6. It’s clear and detailed and energetic, doesn’t have much warmth and the timbre is a little unnatural and hollow to my ears. It’s still great though, and I feel like it would be a nice counterpart to the 650 sound.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 22
I believe that Oppo is still around for warranty claims and repairs, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, a bunch of people have been using the Brainwavz pads as replacements/upgrades, and there's one user that's actively seeking out a decent headband replacement... I'm sure he'll post an update if he finds one.
You should also know that some people have issues with the pads falling apart, especially in hot, humid climates.

Also, I don't necessarily want to steer you away from the PM-3, I just want to make you aware that they're not all roses, as some people might have you believe. A lot of people really enjoy them. In fact, I enjoy them a lot (sometimes, not all the time), but they have certain caveats which often get glossed over.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 22
I believe that Oppo is still around for warranty claims and repairs, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, a bunch of people have been using the Brainwavz pads as replacements/upgrades, and there's one user that's actively seeking out a decent headband replacement... I'm sure he'll post an update if he finds one.
You should also know that some people have issues with the pads falling apart, especially in hot, humid climates.

Also, I don't necessarily want to steer you away from the PM-3, I just want to make you aware that they're not all roses, as some people might have you believe. A lot of people really enjoy them. In fact, I enjoy them a lot (sometimes, not all the time), but they have certain caveats which often get glossed over.
No doubt the PM-3 is a great headphone, but I’m thinking right now is the best course of action would be to get the HD6XX so I can keep the H6 as portable. If I find I vastly prefer the more relaxed HD6XX signature and wish to have that sound with me on the go I’ll try to find a used PM3 as well. Maybe I’m just overthinking period :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back