Is the OPA-MOON tubelike in sound?
Jul 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 5
No, not tube-like at all. Slightly increased soundstage, less up-front is how I would describe the Moon OPA vs. Earth OPA. For an SS amp/dac to sound tube-like, you will need to have some circuitry to add a lot more distortion. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that!

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 5
I agree, it doesn't. And to add, it does have a warm sound compared to the other hdams. The only thing that sounds like a tube amp is a tube amp. I heard a few ss amps that tried to mimic that sound, and they all failed. Instead they sounded very colored, with distortion. The moon don't sound like some of those amps, but there is some coloration. Some like it, and some don't. I like it, but still prefer the earth more.

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 5
It tries to mimic a SET type sound signature. The topology is the silicon version of a Class A single ended tube circuit. It comes a little close in some respects by having a rolled off high frequency section (in relationship to the Earth module which is more extended at both ends of the frequency spectrum than the Moon). The bass is a little less defined but is well controlled none the less. There is a slight thickening in the lower mid, or mid bass region sort of like the difference between an all mahogany 1957 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty vs a 1959 Les Paul Standard Sunburst which has a hard maple cap & mahogany body (combo). The difference is quite distinct on the neck pick up of the 57 and even more noticeable on the bridge p/up's of both. Sorry about the electric guitar reference...it really is the best description or understandable comparison I can relay about the module (for me at least).

The Moon module can't copy a tube amp (SET) sound but it does fairly good job of imitating it. It certainly makes bright, thin recordings a little more listenable.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back