Is the Noble K10U or Shure SE846 right for me?
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Half Vaped

New Head-Fier
I have a wide collection of headphones, but the only IEM I have is my trusty Etymotic ER-4S I've had for over 16 years. I still enjoy it once in a while, but I'd like to get a more modern high-end set.

My budget is $500 - $1k, but I can stretch that by a couple hundred for something special. These IEMs will be mostly for portable use with my Dragonfly Red and Chord Mojo. The primary source would be Amazon Music streaming (about equivalent to 320 kbps MP3), with occasional hi-res FLACs. So it needs to be forgiving of lesser-quality recordings, yet able to deliver the goods on superb tracks. I listen to a little bit of everything.

My current favorite headphone is the Fostex TH-900 and I'm looking for something similar that I can use on the go. I like its deep and thunderous, yet impeccably tight bass and its sweet, non-fatiguing (IMO) treble. I'd like the IEMs to be a little more neutral than the TH-900, but the coloration should be in a similar vein. I'd like more details though, like the Sennheiser HD800, but less grating. Big soundstage is nice, but not too important with most of the music I listen to.

After much research, it seems like the SE846 might have the bass I'm looking for, while the K10U would do most everything better. Can anybody provide personal experiences between the two and comment on the differences in bass? Is there any other IEM that might be a better fit for my needs?

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the advice! I've heard of Campfire before, but never read too much into them. But the reviews of the Vega sounds like it's a good fit for the sound I want.

Does anybody have direct comparisons between the Vega and the K10U or SE846?

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the advice! I've heard of Campfire before, but never read too much into them. But the reviews of the Vega sounds like it's a good fit for the sound I want.

Does anybody have direct comparisons between the K10U or SE846?

I have both of them. While the k10U is alot more technical and clearer its just has that excessive uppermidrange lower treble peak that doesnt suit itself to alot of brigher recordings.

I tend to reach for my 846 alot more for alot of the modern music I have cuz they sound way smoother and less shrill and sibilant. You can listen to them for long periods of time without getting any fatigue, unlike k10U . Shure needs spinfit tips to sound their best tho as they sounded too muffled with any other tips ive tried.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 8
I would agree that the SE846 is non fatiguing. I also think it pairs well with a number of sources. I feel it has a warm feel to it. I got these because I am a bit sensitive to treble, and I find the top end quite smooth.

@soundperfection - you mentioned spinfit tips, do you have a link to the best ones for the SE846? The spinfit range is quite big.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Dec 20, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Maybe Xelento. They should be available near the lower end of your budget.

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Maybe Xelento. They should be available near the lower end of your budget.

The Xelento is equally high regarded as the two T8iE models, and they all use the same driver.
The reason for mentioning the T8iE MKII is that in the one graph I could find (averaged over several models of MKI and MKII) it shows a different tuning compared to the V-shaped Xelento and MKI, and that response is not unlike the Shure 846, with a warm, moderately boosted bass and controlled top.

The first graph is the comparison of MKI and MKII, the second one is from Crinacle’s data base, comparing MKI with Shure 846
Disclaimer: I could not find any official information or measurements about the MKII tuning, sales reps seem to have said that only the cable was changed, but the graph below matches my impressions quite well. Warm sound, sub bass could be a little more, but as always can be influenced with tip selection. And lots of detail and clarity, without sounding thin or sharp.

4B4C16D8-4922-4280-A3F1-EEC8DBBB296F.png

8628817C-2D33-4F38-990D-A42368701F09.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back