Is the NAD C542 a good choice for...
Aug 28, 2004 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fizzmix

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently purchased the Etymotics ER-4P, and am planning on buying a Corda Prehead and a pair of Senn HD650s with the Mobius Zu cables.

I was wonderng if the NAD C542 is a good choice in terms of synergy, and if quality-wise, it is on par with these components.

Also, if you see another source that would work well for my budget(~650 USD), please suggest one. DVD/SACD playback aren't necessary.

Any opinions are appreciated muchly!

Aug 28, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 14
You're planning for a reference system that is too "bottom heavy." Most of your money is going toward the headphone amplifier and the cans. That leaves your source as being the weakest link in such a proposed reference system. The source component is the most critical bedrock of any HI-FI system. Closely related is the essential necessity for system synergy.

So, plan to get a better source component.

Plan on auditioning the gear before you decide to keep any of it for awhile.

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 14
The C542 is an excellent CD player. In my setup (PPA, HD580) it sounds extremely good, and I get the strong impression that the 580s are my own (not-so-)weak link. While there are better CDPs out there, that doesn't make the C542 bad in any way at all. I admit I haven't heard the HD650s, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them with the C542 based on my experience with the 580s.

I find my system is pleasantly dark, not overwhelmingly so. That may or may not be your cup of tea, and your amp will go a long way towards balancing or exaggerating that.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 14
While the NAD C542 is a great CD player, it is simply not up to the task of the Prehead/HD650+Zu. The Prehead is one of the best headphone amps around (regardless of price) and the HD650+Zu is also one of the best headphones I've ever heard. The C542 is simply a "good" CDP and lacks the detail, impact, soundstage and "true" bass response that other units exhibit. The Prehead/HD650 combo deserves a source on the level of a Cary, Meridian 508.24/588, Arcam CD23/33, modded Sony 555ES, etc. If you like the NAD’s controls and features and don’t want to sell it then perhaps an external DAC along the lines of a Bel Canto or Benchmark is more appropriate. Both offer great sound for less than a whole new source and both are relatively transport-independent (though this is arguable and not fact).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 14
I have the C541i, the prerunner of the C542, and I think the 542 would be an excellent choice for your budget. I have been a fan of NAD products for more than 25 years and they have NEVER failed to satisfy me nor impress my snobby "high-end" friends. I still have an NAD 515 changer that was once classed a Stereophile "B" player. Not that they know everything but it just goes to show I'm not crazy. NAD CDPs may not do some of the things the really high-end players do but they certainly don't do anything wrong. I think the C542 is a potentially perfect fit for your budget and for your system.

I am using a MOHR with HD650s and Cardas cable. I alternate sources between the C541i and a Philips 963sa. I approach audio components like I do wine... You can always spend a lot but the trick is spending a little and getting a lot.

Aug 28, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 14
It's not that the NAD C542 does anything wrong, it's that it really does nothing very "right." I really enjoy my NAD C521BEE (which comes very close to the NAD C542 in terms of quality), but even my RME DIGI96/8 soundcard bests it, and the Benchmark DAC1 is only $1000 and absolutely kills the C542 and even the 588. The NAD C542 would be a great source if he had an HD580 and a PIMETA, but it simply is unbalanced considering his other equipment. Once you have a 'phone you like (after trying the AKGs, ATs, Beyers, Grados, Sonys and Stax I have settled on Sennheisers), they key is buying the best source possible so that your media is offered the best possible playback. The NAD C542 is simply not there (it costs less than the headphone/cable combo)! While cost and system synergy do play powerful roles the fact is that the NAD C542 is a mid-level source (and I am a NAD fan). I'm not advocating the liberal-throwing-of-cash principle, but I am encouraging him to investigate other sources when funds and time allow. And just because you own a particular piece of gear doesn't mean it's right for others' systems (I own the NAD C521BEE and I didn't recommend it even though I enjoy it with my HD580 – it simply is not good enough for his present rig). His system deserves an excellent source and when his budget permits he may want to investigate other options. The Philips 963A is another good source that is on equal terms with the C542, IMO. However neither sources sound good enough for a masterful system composed of the HD650 and Prehead (IMO, of course). And as for spending a little and receiving a lot, that is precisely what the Benchmark DAC1 and a used Meridian 588 can offer. Comparing the 588 to the C542 is like comparing the PX100 to the HD650. There is nothing wrong with content in one’s system but there is also nothing wrong with searching for better sound for a great price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 14
I agree with Neil. The NAD c542 is a great entry-level player (I have it), but you're going into the big leagues now. Your source should be in the same class as your amp and phones.

If you look at this way, for example, it'd be like using a grado MS1 with a high-end meridian and a reference amp (opposite end of the chain, but my point is clear). Good sound, but if you replaced the MS1 with an MSP or RS1, you'll get much much better in comparison.

Aug 28, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

And as for spending a little and receiving a lot, that is precisely what the Benchmark DAC1 and a used Meridian 588 can offer.

Fizzmix said his budget is about $650 for the source -- you're absolutely right that those would be a step up in quality, but the DAC is $850 used on Audiogon, and the Meridian is $2000 used at Todd's. Either one of those is outside what he wants to spend, and I don't think the best solution is to imply that the only way he'll get good sound is to go way over budget. Within his budget range, the C542 is one of the top sources (in fact, it was favorably reviewed with CDPs more expensive than it when it first came out -- and at that point, it was priced at $1000), so if you honestly feel that it will sound poor/disappointing with his choice of headphones and amp, I think it would be more productive to suggest a better-sounding combination within his budget.

All this, of course, is subject to Fizzmix's ears and the results from any auditioning he gets to do
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for all of the replys! Certainly, I can up my budget, I'll just save more paychecks.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere near me that I could audition ANYTHING. So I would have to be blind-buying it on the internet.

The only real reason I picked the NAD C542 is because it was fairly cheap, and could be purchased from TTVJ, conveniently.

So I guess I'd be better off just saving more cash, and making a decision later!

So now, any suggestions around or below $2000 would be appreciated! If anyone thinks a certain player would match the HD650 and Prehead in this price range, please let me know!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 14
You can get a C542 for just over $300 online and it would serve the calling perfectly well while you save up the big bucks. I was only trying to support your budget. Putting off reasonable enjoyment until one can afford the $2000 level (or higher) seems a waste of precious time. And you're all correct... these are just opinions.

I have listened to many very expensive CDPs and just can't hear enough of a difference from products like the 542 or the 963 to justify the move to the $1500-$2500 level... especially as fast as technolgy is changing in that area. Just three years ago, anything even similar to the 963sa would have set you back at least $2000. Over the past 10 years, I have approached source components as throw aways after about three years (just like PCs). Whether we allow ourselves to admit it or not, digital audio source technology has been improving at a pace (and with price drops) matched only by PCs. It still really comes back to how much moolah ya got to throw around. I'm really glad I didn't drop $2000 on a CDP 3 years ago. IMHO of course.

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Where did you see a 542 for $300? Is that new or used?

My wife and I just auditioned a 542 tonight against a Rega Planet 2000, and they are very different animals. While my wife enjoyed the vocals on the NAD, she thought instruments and bass sounded better on the Rega. I would mostly agree and would probably consider the Rega for long listening sessions. If you want to up your budget just a bit, you might consider a Planet. If buying used, you would probably stay in budget.

Aug 29, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 14
https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Just one of many sources. This particular one is $349. I said just over $300. This was only a first try on a keyword search. I have seen them for as little as $329 including shipping.

In my book, this is a hard price/performance to beat for a factory refurb with warranty. Please don't misunderstand me... I fully acknowledge that there are better players out there... it's just how much is the incremental performance worth if you're on a limited budget? Buying from even an Internet dealer at least gives some protection over used individual purchase.

I'm not arguing with anyone here... just offering a budget point of view. Believe me, I'm the one that usually buys over the top for anything I shop for but some things deserve being frugal over. In fact, now that the 963 can be had for $249 including shipping, it presents a limited budget with a lot of good choices. I spent $249 last weekend on dinner and a stop at the gas station.

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 14
Also consider customer service. I haven't heard any problems with Rega but if one does occur how would they handle it? Also, haven't heard of any problems with NAD's current line up. (there were some a long time ago with burned out displays)
I'm still using my almost 5 yrs old 515 and am very satisfied with it. For a 5 yr old machine that plays CD-R's it's quite a feat. No problems arose unlike a $7,0000 cd player a relative has. The tray is stuttering while closing and openning and it's easily skipped when slightly tapped.
Are there better? yes, of course but still it's quite a value. (notice, not bargain) for double the price you're in the Arcam category, double that it's the Rega planets. (assuming the NAD's are around $399 retail, I don't know the exact price but that was what I paid over 4 yrs ago for my 515)
I had a problem with my NAD av receiver that's one yr past warranty, I wrote to them via e-mail and explained my situation. They replied to send it in to their factory service shop in Mass. No charge. (I didn't have a receipt as proof of purch however I did bring it to an authorized sevice center before and they didn't do a good job the first time so they must of had a record)
They also can refurb old cd players, a guy I know bought a thrift shop player for $10 and it costs $75 to refurb it from the same service center in Mass. Turnaround time was 4 weeks, door to door for the refurb and my service unit.

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 14
I would agree with you, mycoman. I think that NAD CDPs are a great value. It depends on your budget and hearing. If you are on a strict budget and cannot hear the difference and you like how the NAD plays, then it is a pretty simple decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back