Is the Musiland Monitor 01 US a DAC ?
Dec 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dayamax

100+ Head-Fier
I am asking this because the Monitor also comes with optical out which can be fed to another DAC
The product description: 

Quote:
Rocketing off  the successful LILO DAC, Musiland makes another bold step with their Monitor 01 US, 
which uses the same asynchronous topology. Except this time, they extended the sampling rate to 192K!

The Musiland Monitor comes with software and a USB cable.  The software installs on Windows Vista or 
Version 7.  Operation is easy: connect the Monitor 01 US, bring up the Monitor software and then play 
iTunes or your favorite media player.  (Note: you will need a 192K capable player for native 192K files).   
Volume is controlled by the PC and the Monitor 01 US is powered by the USB port on your PC.

The asynchronous operation and buffering of the Monitor 01 US bring technology that is only used in 
USB DACs costing $3K - $5K in range.  The asynchronous operation is simple: instead of pushing 
music via USB to a DAC (this is how most DACs work) the Musiland Monitor 01 US negotiates with its 
own software to “pull” music out of its PC.  Because the Musiland Monitor 01 US is controlling the 
stream, it can order the Musiland Monitor software to “resend” a bad packet or “send faster” or “send 
slower”. Thus, superior USB sound quality is achieved. This is especially important at high sampling 
levels where a single trumpet blast at 192k can take up to 4 times the data at 192K than it can at 44.1K.  
The Musiland Monitor 01 uses an advanced Xilinx codec, high speed, low noise pulse transformers

The Monitor 01 US has optical, RCA and 1/8” outputs.  You can plug the Monitor 01 US directly into your 
amplifier, optical inputs to your DAC or listen to headphones.

Source: http://www.pacificvalve.us/MusilandMonitor01US.html

I am considering using the Monitor US 01 between my laptop and Schiit Asgard/Valhalla
Laptop > Musiland Monitor 01 US > Schiit Asgard/Valhalla > Senn HD 650

another setup I am considering is: Laptop > Audio gd Sparrow > Senn HD 650.
The audio gd Sparrow or Fun use the WM8741 DAC chip.

How would these two compare ? 95 % of the music on my computer is in the standard format (16 bit resolution, 44.1 kHz sampling rate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back