Is the Motorola Droid a good choice?
Dec 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theres always one
rolleyes.gif

I said ANdroid

The Eris also has wifi connectivity problems and has scrolled down on me quite a few times now. Javascript heavy sites are a complete no no since it takes 30 to 60 seconds to load certain pages, whereas mobile safari will load nearly 3x faster. Both Droid's from VZW will "forget" what tabs you have open from time to time as well. PHPBB forums sites have created all kinds of problems on both phones that were simply not present on the 3rd Gen iPod touch.

So ANdroid on Verizon certainly doesn't seem to be the future to me.
rolleyes.gif

And for those of you that say your DROID has no problems, I simply suggest you're glossing over them or aren't very discerning. I've seen 7 DROID samples and 1 Eris now. The issues are very real, whether you choose to ignore them's up to you.

Personally, I won't settle for this subpar experience. Soon enough we'll have something w/ the openess of Android, the browser performance of mobile Safari, and the usability of WebOS. Until then, you won't find me defending any phone out of the flagrant fanboyism above.

Oh, and I have several buddies using Google Nav on their G1's. Serious hacking's a bit of an exaggeration. If you can edit a post, you can put Gnav on an older G1.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 39
Jodiuh, as you might know.. the Eris, is NOT a G1. The Eris is still on 1.5 for a start, you'd know that as you have one, right?

I seem to recall you had issues with the Zune HD as well.. perhaps you're just doing something wrong?

As I said, there's always something better round the corner. Take your Eris back if it's not up to your standard, you're within 30 days.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #33 of 39
Ya the G1 is excellent for the hacking (I own one and have it rooted myself) but it wouldn't matter anyways since the official update OTA for the G1 is at 1.6 now. So the G1 OS is ahead of the Eris for now.

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #34 of 39
Q1 for the Eris update I believe, although no info on what it'll be updated to yet.

Still.. nice to see these updates coming along. Frankly I was a little surprised to see the eris launch with 1.5, probably why they're practically giving them away

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q1 for the Eris update I believe, although no info on what it'll be updated to yet.

Still.. nice to see these updates coming along. Frankly I was a little surprised to see the eris launch with 1.5, probably why they're practically giving them away

It wasn't so much the Android development, it was porting HTC's SenseUI to Android 2.0 that was the problem I think. In reading the leaks it seems like they are pretty much done thats why it is getting the update soon. Motorola just went straight Android GUI thats why it is 2.0.

Can't wait to get this phone, I have been lusting since it was first announced.

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wasn't so much the Android development, it was porting HTC's SenseUI to Android 2.0 that was the problem I think. In reading the leaks it seems like they are pretty much done thats why it is getting the update soon. Motorola just went straight Android GUI thats why it is 2.0.

Can't wait to get this phone, I have been lusting since it was first announced.

Verizon is offering BOGO for a few more day's.

LQQK

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So ANdroid on Verizon certainly doesn't seem to be the future to me.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not interested in verizon, or the droid, or the g1 or the eris, (although the hero is a different beast altogether) I am talking about the os, anyone with any insight however begrudgingly has to accept that android is most definitely the future.

Google is the future right now.

And it's all free and it all works.

Nothing can touch either the user experience, increased efficiency and productivity of the google environment, the free price of the apps, the open source ethos of google, or the essentially free to end user business model.

If you don't believe google and android is the future now, you will.

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jodiuh, as you might know.. the Eris, is NOT a G1. The Eris is still on 1.5 for a start, you'd know that as you have one, right?

I seem to recall you had issues with the Zune HD as well.. perhaps you're just doing something wrong?

Seeing the G1 get GNav means Hero will also get the update. It's all over the news today anyway.

Zune HD's browser is terrible, anyone telling you different's never used an iPod touch...oh, but maybe I just don't know how to use a web browser, right?
rolleyes.gif

I've posted videos and large impressions w/ links to forums of other users experiencing the same thing. Have you even owned a Zune HD or an Eris? Does this look like a 1 person issue to you?

Droid wifi issues, 42,643 Views 441 Replies
https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...art=0&tstart=0

Get an Eris and attempt to view that site over WiFi. You're looking @ 45 second page loads. And that's not the only site that suffers from huge performance problems. The Eris and Zune HD browsers are weak when put up against mobile safari. That's my complaint and I think it's pretty well backed up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't believe google and android is the future now, you will.

I'd like to believe we have more than 1 future for smartphones.
wink.gif
And the Eris has left me feeling much better after all the bugs from DROID. A friend recently checked out the DROID 2.0 rom on his G1 and had the same scrolling issues I had. It's definitely a growing OS. And to be fair, I really only experienced the 3rd Gen iPod Touch, not an actual iPhone (for fear of making calls).
biggrin.gif
There's just a bunch of issues unresolved in the Android OS that leave it a bit "half baked." However, if the Passion releases soon on VZW w/ upgraded internals and a bigger screen, I'll go w/ that in a heartbeat.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #39 of 39
We just received our BOGO package Droid and Eris.

Droid:

The google integration is amazing. The screen is beautiful. I've already started to ignore the hardware keyboard for most things because it's not really that good.

As a music player, it'll cleanly push my ER-4P's louder than I can stand...and I have pretty serious hearing loss (no, it's not nerve damage). However, the amp in this thing has a hard time with my Allesandro/Grado MS1s, but who's suprised by that? Only my defunct JB3 and iAudio did/do a decent job with those phones unaided.

I'm wishing for some EQ control that the built in media app lacks, but I haven't really looked for aftermarket apps yet.

As for organizing your files, the player does an excellent job, honoring tags apparently.

Eris: Has a great form factor and the SensUI is great, but it's noticeably slower than the Droid. Not too bad most of the time, but as previously mentioned, a Javascript heavy web site taxes it. It seems a little glitchy with tilt/orientation and a few other things, but the Android 2.0 upgrade is rumored to really enhance this phone. SQ? I've only tried my MS1s on it and seemed comparable with the Droid --- taxed.

Phreon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back