is the M-Audio Sonica Theater External USB 7.1 the same as the Revo, only USB?
Jul 1, 2003 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fappar

100+ Head-Fier
you heard teh title! or read, anyway... I wanna get a revo, but if i can have good audio on my lappy, that would totally rock. i cuold just switch between computers with the usb one, and considering that i have 6 computers, this may be helpful

Jul 1, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 11
No, the Revo and the Sonica Theatre use completely different chipsets and DACs. However, they're both reportedly very nice. I've only heard the regular Sonica, and it's a nice unit.

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 11
The Revo uses better speced hardware but since it's inside the computer, I don't know unless actually comparing the two side by side. I have the Revo and Sonica (normal stereo) and the Revo is better.

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 11
The AudiophileUSB is the next step up from the Revo. The Sonica and PreUSB both get power from USB which means they make the PCI bus power look beafy
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Has anyone done an A/B test of the Audiophile USB and the Revolution? It's not clear that the Audiophile USB is a step up in terms of sound quality, but it could be.

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 11
Not clear? External, bigger price tag, full size connectors, larger power supply independant of the noise in the PC, bigger price tag...

When you are dealing with one manufacturer, price, pretty much tells you the order. Ever see a Rega Jupiter for less than a Planet, new
wink.gif

If you want a large step up in the pro-sumer market you could wait for a price on their new firewire solution. Price tag will be higher but its so pretty
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Well it's still not clear. What if it were a tiny bit better. That's probably not worth the cost doubling?

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 11
The Audiophile USB is substantially more complicated than the Revolution (headphone amp, more input/outputs, needs a USB transceiver, etc.) so it's naturally more expensive. Not necessarily better though.

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Originally posted by Wodgy
The Audiophile USB is substantially more complicated than the Revolution

Not at all, the USB interface is much simpler than the PCI bus. The Sonica and PreUSB are USB devices that sell for less or equal value as the Revo.

(headphone amp, more input/outputs, needs a USB transceiver, etc.)

The Revo has the same headphone amp, less inputs but more outputs, needs a PCI controller, etc. Its the same reqs just on a different bus.

so it's naturally more expensive. Not necessarily better though.

Take my word for it, it's better. My friend is using one in his PC/mixing rig. Don't know for how much longer though, the firewire model has him salivating at the mouth
biggrin.gif
The Audiophile2496 though older is also better than the Revo for straight music playback and recording, costs more too
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back