Is the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 a mod candidate?
Dec 11, 2004 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
First, I know absolutely nothing about modding gear, especially sound cards. But, I see you guys talking about modding various sound cards, and I'm looking at building an HTPC here in the near future. The M-Audio Revolution looks like the perfect card for my HTPC, but I was considering adding an EMU 0404 (possibly modded) for headphone listening and when I get a good 2-channel speaker system together.

However, if the M-Audio Revolution can be modded, perhaps I could have my cake and eat it too? Maybe that's just not possible/worth it.

Again, I'm a complete newb, just curious. Even if it were possible, I'd have to get someone else to mod it for me.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 9
it's very good modding platform..

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 9
Cool, do you happen to have any links to previous threads? Or any information about who has modded it?

My searching has not been successful, but maybe I don't know where to look.

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 9
look for revo 7.1 mods, the cards are rather similar..

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks, but I'm not finding much. Other than your thread where you sold yours, there doesn't seem to be much on modding M-Audio Revolutions.

Dec 12, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Glassman, since you modded your card, do you think you can share the details of what can be done exactly? I've found someone who might be interested in modding it for me, but neither of us know exactly how the card can be improved.

I'm looking at modding it as far as possible, as I fully intend to use it for analog 5.1 sound at first, headphones, and eventually digital to a receiver.

Dec 12, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 9
bypassing caps in signal path, replacing opamps for your favourites, biasing them into class A using CRD, replacing the two 470uF/16V supply filtering caps for ~1000-2200uF pana FC or even some boutique ones.. small supply bypass caps replace for Black Gates NX 47uF/6.3V (for 3.3V and 5V regulated supplies).. and that's about it..

Aug 24, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread, but I'm in the same position as the OP.

I am looking into modding this card, and following Glassman's advice will be replacing the two 470uf caps. He also says to replace the opamps which are all sizable 8 legged chips? (I'm not a pro by a long way, as you probably guessed!). Problem is I only see one, and googling the text from the chips isn't helping.

Here is a high-res shot of the card - can anyone confirm that the only opamp is near the bottom right of the pic? If I'm wrong please guide me to the right component. Also I am struggling to see the "small supply bypass caps" - again, any guidance would be very welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Would it be stupid to re-cap the whole card (in groups) with pana FC's and see for myself what happens? I'm only using the card for stereo so most will probably make no difference anyway.

Thanks,

Suicidal_Orange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back