Is the lack of Grado soundstage fooling me?
Apr 8, 2006 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
When I first starting listening to Grados about a year ago, everything was just fine. The channels were balanced nicely, and the Grado sound really started to grow on me. As I got into different brands of headphones, sigtnatures changed, and soundstages widened. Some I listened to for long periods of time, without listening to a Grado for a while.

Well, lately, I have been having this feeling that all the Grados that I listen to are off center, favoring the left channel more than the right! The funny thing about this, is that it's not just one set of cans, but at least 7 or 8 of them!!
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

Now, before you tell me to go clean my ears, I also have other very nice headphones that just don't display this behavior, a Senn, AKG, and a Sony!

Can everyone please give your opinions on this matter with the Grado/Alessandro cans. Is the lack of soundstage throwing me off coming from other sets of cans, and then listening to the Grados?

This is very important, so please try and explain this to me!!
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 17
Is this one record or with your entire collection?

As you're probably aware, grados are VERY sensitive to placement, maybe it's not the sensitivity of your ears, but simply their shape that's irregular, placing the one can nearer to your ear?

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 17
check your headphone amps, and your ears first...

Only Grados and Alessandros can give me a Left-Right Balanced sound..
coz my right ear is much larger than my left one, and so my larger right ear will block the sound coming out from circumaural headphones more than the left side. ( this is what i suppppose only)

tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
Is this one record or with your entire collection?

As you're probably aware, grados are VERY sensitive to placement, maybe it's not the sensitivity of your ears, but simply their shape that's irregular, placing the one can nearer to your ear?

I have favorite recordings that I regularly listen to out of Grados, such as Tool, and A Pefect Circle, plus similar bands, but since my mind, and/or ears are being convinced that there is a problem, I seem to always be checking for an imbalance constantly, instead of just listening naturally!
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
check your headphone amps, and your ears first...

No problem with my amps, as other cans sound just fine, and I mean many of them!

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 17
what happens when you wear the L cup on your right ear? Grados are symmetrical so it should work.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
what happens when you wear the L cup on your right ear? Grados are symmetrical so it should work.

I am going to listen to some tracks that I never heard, only this time I am going to reverse the cups, I'll let you know how it turns out!
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 17
I currently only have one set of 'phones; a pair of MS-1s, so I can't offer much input. But when I first started listening I thought I noticed a very slight inbalance to the right.

It was really anoying.

So I swapped channels and found it was me! The inbalance stayed to the right with the inputs switched at the receiver.

Cool.

( Wonder why your channels seemed balanced at first but changed over time?.....strange.....unexpected!)

I had forgotten all about the perceived imbalance and completely ignored it!

.....'til now.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
I currently only have one set of 'phones; a pair of MS-1s, so I can't offer much input. But when I first started listening I thought I noticed a very slight inbalance to the right.

It was really anoying.

So I swapped channels and found it was me! The inbalance stayed to the right with the inputs switched at the receiver.

Cool.

( Wonder why your channels seemed balanced at first but changed over time?.....strange.....unexpected!)

I had forgotten all about the perceived imbalance and completely ignored it!

.....'til now.

Just ignore this thread dude!!
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I have favorite recordings that I regularly listen to out of Grados, such as Tool, and A Pefect Circle, plus similar bands, but since my mind, and/or ears are being convinced that there is a problem, I seem to always be checking for an imbalance constantly, instead of just listening naturally!
eek.gif

Maybe that's the problem - you're trying SO HARD to hear an imbalance that you've created a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like my momma used to say, "A mind is a terrible thang..."

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Maybe that's the problem - you're trying SO HARD to hear an imbalance that you've created a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like my momma used to say, "A mind is a terrible thang..."

Your absolutely right, because I am now listening to many different recordings, and the channels are coming together very nicely! Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 17
cheechoz>There could be some truth to this. I know of one headfier who has a set of Hp-2's and there is a channel imbalance.

So it is possible that it's not you and could be the headphones.

If a channel balance can occur int he new batch of he90's then it's plausible it can affect any phone and any manufacturer.

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 17
I felt the same way when I got my sr225's. I swapped sides (left can on right ear, etc.) and the imbalance was still on the same side, so I dunno. Its only sometimes though, I think it is because there is a wall like two feet from where my ear is at.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 17
I also experience the left channel leading the right on a RS-1 and a little on a SR225. Reversed the cups and the right is favored. Sometimes can adjust it by moving the left cup 1/4 inch forward. Using a tuner that was recently aligned and balance verified on fixed outputs with RA-1 and CNR ic's. ??

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 17
Listen to cheap headphones. Their lack of separation will make you forget about "channel imbalance".

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 17
Could it just be the mastering of some albums? Some rock albums tend to lump all bass to the right, and treble / voice to the left, or vice versa... and the closed soundstage of Grados may emphasize that even further? Crossfeed should help in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back